|Produced by||V. Sudhir Kumar|
M. S. Viswanathan
|Cinematography||A. Vijay Kumar|
|Edited by||Ganesh Kumar|
|6 March 1998|
Kaadhal Mannan (English: King of Love) is a 1998 Indian Tamil romantic drama film directed by Saran, which features Ajith Kumar and Maanu in the lead roles. The film also saw music composer M. S. Viswanathan make his debut in a supporting role, whilst Vivek, Karan and Girish Karnad also played other roles. The film was released in March 1998 to positive reviews.
Rudran (Girish Karnad), a very strict disciplinarian father of two daughters, hates the word 'Love'. The very mention of this word makes him punish himself to unimaginable heights. He has disowned his elder daughter Menaka (Dhaarini) because she eloped with her lover. The strictness is doubled for the younger daughter Thilottama (Maanu), and a marriage alliance is fixed for her. She stoically accepts her father's decision until she meets Shiva (Ajith Kumar), a local mechanic. Shiva lives with his friend Oyya (Vivek) in a mansion owned by Mess Viswanthan (M. S. Viswanathan), Shiva is always ready to accept dares. When Menaka dares him to go to Chennai to deliver a letter to Thilothama, Shiva ends up falling in love with Thilothama, but she is unable to reveal her love to Shiva and her father, as she fears the consequences. Are the lovers able to declare their love for each other and get united? Does Rudran take to it kindly?
- Ajith Kumar as Shiva, mechanic
- Maanu as Thilothama
- M. S. Viswanathan as Mess Viswanthan, mansion owner
- Vivek as Oyya, Shiva's friend
- Karan as Ranjan
- Girish Karnad as Rudran, Black Dog security service MD
- Dhaarini as Menaka, Thilothama's sister
- Ramesh Khanna as Black Dog security service Inspector
- Rathan as Ranjan's father
- Dhamu as Person in Mansion
- Ramji a special appearance in Maarimuthu song
- Kanal Kannan as Taxi Driver (special appearance)
Saran describes that he "was wondering what would happen if a girl, who is engaged to a particular person, falls in love with someone else" and this formed the basis of his plot for the film. The film saw veteran music composer M. S. Viswanathan make his acting debut in a supporting role, whilst the lead actress Maanu from Assam and music composer Bharathwaj also debuted. Viswanathan had initially waded away the approach but actor Vivek later convinced him to partake in the film. Few scenes were shot at Murugesan Mansion at Triplicane.
|Soundtrack album by|
|1.||"Unnai Paartha"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||5:12|
|2.||"Vaannum Mannum"||Hariharan, K. S. Chithra||5:15|
|4.||"Mettu Thedi"||M. S. Viswanathan||4:45|
|6.||"Kanni Pengal"||Ada Ali Azad, Febi Mani,||4:30|
The film released in 108 screens worldwide. It won positive reviews from critics, with a reviewer praising the film for tackling a taboo subject. The critic claimed that Ajith Kumar "was back at his best", whilst also crediting success to Bharathwaj's soundtrack. Despite winning plaudits for her portrayal, Maanu quit the film industry for over a decade before resurfacing as a promoter for the 2010 Singaporean film Gurushetram – 24 Hours of Anger and later as an aide to Rajinikanth during his health-related visit to Singapore in 2011.
The film was commercial success at the box office as it released during a period of crisis in the film industry where the FEFSI strikes were ongoing and thus the distributors refused to pick the film up outright and insisted on distribution only. The first copy was worth Rs 22 million, but was only sold for Rs 16 million. Still, it ran for 100 days and re-established Ajith Kumar's market after a string of failures.
- A-Z (Iii). Indolink.com. Retrieved on 8 August 2015.
- What Vaali borrowed from Rajini – Behindwoods.com – Vasanth TV Daily Thanthi MS Viswanathan YMCA Royapettah Vivek Kadhal Mannan Viswanathan Rajinikanth Balachander tamil movie news images picture gallery images. Behindwoods.com. Retrieved on 8 August 2015.
- Kaadhal Mannan: A Movie Review. Indolink.com. Retrieved on 8 August 2015.
- Ajith's Heroine Helps Rajnikanth – Rajini – Manu – Tamil Movie News. Behindwoods.com (14 July 2011). Retrieved on 8 August 2015.
- Rediff On The NeT, Movies: Director Saran on matters close to his heart. Rediff.com (10 February 2000). Retrieved on 8 August 2015.
- Ajith says he does not interfere in screenwriting & remains a director's actor