|Directed by||Tharun Gopi|
|Produced by||S. S. Chakravarthy|
|Written by||Tharun Gopi|
|Screenplay by||Tharun Gopi|
|Story by||Tharun Gopi|
|Music by||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Cinematography||R. D. Rajasekhar|
|Edited by||Anthony Gonsalves|
Nic Arts / S. S. Chakravarthy
|Distributed by||Nic Arts / S. S. Chakravarthy|
Kaalai (Tamil: காளை; English: Bull) is a 2008 Tamil action film directed by Tharun Gopi. The film stars Silambarasan with Vedhika, Lal, Sangeetha and Seema in supporting roles. The film's score and soundtrack are composed by G. V. Prakash Kumar. Early reports claimed the title were set to be Chennaiyil Irundhu Madhurai, Mosamanavan and Agaradhi. The film opened to negative reviews and became a flop. It has been dubbed in Hindi as Jwalamukhi (Man With Fire.)
Simbhu shares his name with two other people - one villain and one cop-turned-baddie and the situations arising out of it promise enough curiosity for a while as soon as the movie opens.
Simbhu’s grandmother – slays five men, mind you when she was only nine, since they flouted her father’s advices and distilled alcohol illegally in the village also involving in other shady activities. The villagers, for her noble act, consider her their head after her return from the prison and are peaceful under her reign. However, trouble crops up in the name of a police officer – Lal – whose ego is hurt when challenged by the fellow policeman’s son that he can’t find anything illicit in Simbhu’s village, ruled by the godmother Seema.
Lal tries - but to no avail - to nail somebody from the village for any charges and ends being thrashed up the villagers. Predictably, he returns with a vengeance and in the dirty war, burns Seema alive. Enough reason for Simbhu to seek retribution for his loss. Simbhu returns to Chennai, uses the tried and tested formula to woo Lal’s daughter Vedhika, and after a couple of duets abducts her as a hostage on revenge of his grandmother
- Silambarasan as Jeeva
- Vedhika Kumar as Brintha
- Lal as Jeeva
- Sangeetha as Lakshmi
- Seema as Karuppayi Aatha
- Sulile Kumar as Jeeva
- Sabarna as Brindha's friend
- Nila (Special appearance)
- Kadhal Dhandapani
Vedhika was selected as heroine. While Sangeetha and yesteryear actress Seema was selected to play supporting roles. Nila was selected to appear in item song. Prakashraj was originally selected as villain but he was replaced by Malayalam actor Lal.
The main and most of the film was shot in nearby villages of Theni Town. Australia was originally selected as a location for song shooting due to Visa problems, it was shifted to Malaysia. Heroine was not finalized as a result of which an entire schedule of the film was shot without the lady lead of the movie. A fast beat song sequence of this movie was shot at the VGP Golden Beach in Chennai with Simbu and Vedhika. Kaala team left for Pondy for shooting on 2 April amidst much fanfare. With just eight days of filming the stunt sequences alone, the entire unit is back in town.According to the team, the only actors booked for the movie is the lead pair, Simbu and Vedika. Insiders reveal that even Vedika was booked just one day before the team left for Pondy and none of the scenes shot so far has her presence. Simbhu did some editing work with Anthony, impressed by his work anthony said to have presented rs. 25,000 to him.
|Soundtrack album by G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|G. V. Prakash Kumar chronology|
|"Kaala Kaala"||Benny Dayal, Mamta Mohandas||05.00|
|"Vandhuttaanda Kaalai"||Benny Dayal, Rahul Nambiar, Silambarasan Rajendar||03:36|
|"Kutti Pisase"||Silambarasan Rajendar, Suchitra||05:36|
|"Guththa Lakkadi"||Lucky Ali, Sunidhi Chauhan||06:03|
|"Veeramulla"||Manicka Vinayagam, Sriram, Tharun Gopi||05:12|
The satellite rights of the film were sold to Sun TV. The film was given an "A" certificate by the Indian Censor Board. The film was released in Pongal alongside Bheema, Pidichirukku, Pirivom Santhippom and Pazhani.
Indiaglitz wrote:"the narrative is too loud and it lacks finesse. Silambarasan handles the 'omnipotent hero' character with confidence. Vedhika announces her arrival as the potential glam girl of 2008. This one with a beautiful and innocent face has just the right figure to take up glamour roles.". Nowrunning wrote:"Silambarasan's more than life image is unrealistic if not out of place. Vedhicka exudes glamour and performs well in duet songs". Sify wrote:"When Silambarasan and director Tarun Gopi came together in Kaalai we expected a racy masala entertainer. Sadly it is a watered down version of earlier films and ends up as an over-the-top ham enterprise, Kaalai is like bull in china shop and makes you groan".
- Super Admin (2008-07-24). "Tharun Gopi as Kattupaya". OneIndia. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "The Hindu News Update Service". Hindu.com. 2009-06-20. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Tamil Movie News simbu tarungopi kaala nayantara genelia vedhika bhavana prakash raj pondicherry simbu nayan gallery images". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Tamil Movie News Kaalai Simbu Silambarasan Pongal Tarun Gopi Malaysia Australia Star Night Show Picture Gallery Images Wallpaper Stills Review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Tamil Movie News simbu tarungopi kaala kaalai vgp chennai g v prakash nila vedhika tamil movie kaalai gallery images". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Silambarasan Kaalai Anthony perfection Editor tarun gopi pongal release PICTURE GALLERY IMAGES WALLPAPER STILLS REVIEW". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Mamta croons for Kaalai". Sify. 2007-09-14. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Kaalai Simbu Vedhika G.V.Prakash Tarun Gobi Simbu Kalai Songs Kalai Music Release Tamil Movie News Pongal Release Picture Gallery Images Wallpaper Stills Review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Pongal movies and censor certificates". IndiaGlitz. 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Kaalai Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 2008-01-15. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Kaalai Review - Tamil Movie Review by PVS". Nowrunning.com. 2008-01-24. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Movie Review:Kaalai". Sify. Retrieved 2012-08-05.