|Directed by||Tinnu Anand|
|Produced by||Iqbal Singh|
|Written by||Inder Raj Anand|
|Music by||Rahul Dev Burman|
Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri
|Edited by||A. Habib|
|Distributed by||Bobby Enterprises|
Kaalia (Hindi: कालिया) is a 1981 Bollywood action film, written and directed by Tinnu Anand, and produced by Iqbal Singh. The film stars Amitabh Bachchan (in the title role), Parveen Babi, Asha Parekh, Kader Khan, Pran, Amjad Khan, K.N. Singh and Jagdeep. The music is by R.D. Burman, while the lyrics are by Majrooh Sultanpuri. The film was the 8th highest grossing Indian film of 1981. The movie was remade in Kannada in 1984 as Huliyaada Kaala starring Tiger Prabhakar and in Tamil in 1987 as Cooliekkaran.
The film was another classic from Bachchan's "angry young man" era and helped cement his status as a superstar. The film is also remembered for having the classic upbeat song "Jahan Teri Yeh Nazar Hai". It continues to be played at parties and nightclubs, along with being considered as one of the most iconic songs of the 1980s.
Kaalia (Amitabh Bachchan) lives with his older brother Shamu (Kader Khan), sister-in-law Shanti (Asha Parekh), and their little daughter Munni. He spends his time idly playing with the neighbour's kids. His older brother gets into an accident at work at the mill and loses his arms. He loses his job and needs money for treatment. Kaalia begs his brother's boss, Shahani Seth (Amjad Khan), but he refuses. Kaalia breaks into Shahani's safe to get the money, but it's too late as the brother dies. Shahani throws Kaalia in jail for nine months. This is where he meets the men that teach him crime (kallu se kalia ka safar shuro hota hai). After his release, Kaalia is a different, stronger man. He and his accomplices steal the gold that the boss had been smuggling at the mill. Then he burns down the mill as retribution for his brother's death. He goes to jail again, this time for two years. His accomplices lie to his sister-in-law by telling her that he is in America earning a lot of money for her and her daughter. They move from poverty to riches. In jail, Kaalia meets the jailor (Pran), a smart, ethical, strong man, whose daughter was kidnapped by one of the prisoners when she was little. After Kaalia is released from prison, he is bent on seeking vengeance and eventually pairs up with a woman (Parveen Babi). The boss kidnaps Kaalia's niece and forces her mother to testify against Kaalia in a murder trial. He is found guilty for a murder he didn't commit and escapes from prison to find his niece. At first, the warden chases him and once he knows the true story, decides to help him. They go to the boss's place and not only find the little girl, but also the sister-in-law about to die. The boss reveals to the warden that he was the one who had kidnapped his daughter 20 years ago and now it's the grown up Parveen Babi's character. They fight with him, the boss gets beaten up badly and Kaalia finally chops off Shahani's arm off. Everyone lives happily ever after.
- Amitabh Bachchan ... Kallu / Kaalia
- Asha Parekh ... Shanti (Kallu's sister-in-law)
- Parveen Babi ... Shalini / Rani Singh (Kallu's fiance)
- Kader Khan ... Shamu (Kallu's elder brother)
- Amjad Khan ... Shahani Seth / Jaswant (Main antagonist)
- Pran ... Jailer Raghvir Singh
- K.N. Singh ... Convict
- Sajjan ... 2nd Defense Attorney
- Murad ... IGP Officer
- Sudhir ... Rawat (Shahani Seth's assistant)
- Kushboo Sundar ... Rina (as Baby Khushboo)
- Brahmachari ... Gopal
- Ram Sethi ... Crippled Prisoner
- Brahm Bhardawaj ... Judge
- Yunus Parvez... Abdul
- Dev Kumar ... Convict
- Jagdeep... car dealer
- Bob Christo ... Michael
Lyrics by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
|1||"Dil To Dete Nahi"||Asha Bhosle|
|2||"Jab Se Tumko Dekha"||Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhosle|
|3||"Jahan Teri Yeh Nazar Hai"||Kishore Kumar|
|4||"Kaun Kisi Ko Baandh Saka"||Mohammed Rafi Chorus|
|5||"Sanam Tum Jahan Mera Dil Wahan"||Asha Bhosle|
|6||"Tum Saath Ho Jab Apne"||Kishore Kumar, Asha Bhosle|
- The song "Jahan Teri Yeh Nazar Hai" influenced the song "Palat – Tera Hero Idhar Hai", featured in the 2014 film Main Tera Hero.
- This film was remade in Sinhalese as Jaya Apatai in 1986, but with different songs. This version stars Vijaya Kumarathunga, Geetha Kumarathunga and Cleetus Mendis.
- http://ibosnetwork.com/asp/topgrossersbyyear.asp?year=1981. Missing or empty
- "Box Office By Year". Muvyz, http://muvyz.com/boxoffice/byyear/y3/1981
- "Jahan teri yeh nazar hai | Indian Song .org". indiansong.org. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- India, Press Trust of (22 March 2014). "RD Burman's 'Kaalia' number influenced Sajid-Wajid's 'Palat'" – via Business Standard.