13 February 2001|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||192 lb (87 kg; 13 st 10 lb)|
New York Rangers|
2nd overall, 2019|
New York Rangers
Kaapo Kakko (born 13 February 2001) is a Finnish professional ice hockey forward who is currently playing for the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Kakko was selected second overall by the Rangers in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft. Kakko plays right wing, but also has experience playing at center. He made his professional debut playing with HC TPS of the Finnish Liiga.
On 21 June 2019, as the top ranked European skater heading into the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, Kakko was selected in the first-round, 2nd overall, by the New York Rangers. On 11 July 2019, he was signed to a three-year, entry-level with the Rangers.
|World Junior Championships|
|World U18 Championships|
Kakko scored the gold medal winning goal for team Finland in the 2019 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships on 5 January 2019. Kakko is the youngest player in hockey history to win gold in all three IIHF world championship tournaments; World U18 Championships, World Junior Championships and World Championships.
Regular season and playoffs
Awards and honours
|Jarmo Wasama memorial trophy (Liiga Rookie of the Year)||2019|
|President's Trophy (Most impressive player in Finnish ice hockey)||2019|
- "Hughes tops 2019 NHL Draft final ranking of North American skaters". National Hockey League. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- "Devils take Jack Hughes at No.1, and the Rangers pick Kaapo Kakko". New York Times. 21 June 2019. Retrieved 21 June 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Rangers agree to terms with Kaapo Kakko". New York Rangers. 11 July 2019. Retrieved 11 July 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Rivard, Happy. "A look ahead at the 2019 Draft Class". Hockey Wilderness. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- Staff, HP. "HockeyProspect.com's Early 2019 NHL Draft Top 31 Ranking". Hockey Prospect. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- Aykroyd, Lucas. "Kaapo Kakko gives Finns gold". IIHF. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- Peters, Chris (28 May 2019). "Prospect Kakko to pass on scouting combine". ESPN.com. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
It also marked Kakko's third world championship in as many tries. He also helped Finland win the World Men's Under-18 Championship in 2018 and the World Junior Championship in January. He is the youngest player in IIHF history to complete the trifecta.
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or Eurohockey.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
| New York Rangers first round draft pick
|This biographical article relating to a Finnish ice hockey winger is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|