|Directed by||Pugazendhi Thangaraj|
|Produced by||T. Vellaiyan|
|Written by||Pugazendhi Thangaraj|
|Edited by||K. Thanigachalam|
Thaai Movie Makers
Kaatrukkenna Veli (English: What's the need of fence for air?) is a 2001 Tamil drama film directed by Pugazendhi Thangaraj. The film features Sujitha and Sriman in the lead roles, with Kushboo, C. Arunpandian, Chandrasekhar, Sudhangan, Sakthi Kumar, Arulmani, Kalairani, Diana and Premi playing supporting roles. The film, produced by T. Vellaiyan, had musical score by Ilaiyaraaja and was released on 27 April 2001.
Manimekalai (Sujitha) is a young woman and a LTTE rebel fighter. During a battle in Valvettithurai (northeast coast of Sri Lanka), she was seriously injured in the leg. A small group of rebels take her on a boat and are headed to India. They land in Point Calimere (India). With the help of an Indian Tamil intermediate, they reach a hospital in Nagapattinam.
The doctor Subhash Chandra Bose (Sriman), also known as Subhash, first refuses to treat Manimekalai because it is an illegal matter. After seeing her leg's condition, he finally accepts to operate her but Manimekalai does not want to have her leg amputated. It was a sensitive case, the doctors successfully operate her leg but it's only temporary. Her leg could be at any time collapsed and she could die of it. Subhash doesn't understand why she risks her life for her leg and she tells him her past.
In the past, Manimekalai was a cheerful and careless girl. After failing a class twice, she left school. One day, the disabled woman Lakshmi (Kushboo) had just moved in next door. Lakshmi and Manimekalai became good friends and spent time singing songs. Everything went well until a LTTE soldier (C. Arunpandian) got killed by Sri Lanka Army in Lakshmi's home. Thereafter, the army started to threaten them, Manimekalai ran away from the place while Lakshmi stayed there. The same night, Lakshmi set herself on fire. Later, Manimekalai joined the LTTE.
After listening to her tragic past, Subhash promises her to not call the police and he accepts to let her in the hospital ward for a month. The Tamil Nadu police receive very often information letters from the Sri Lankan government and this time it's about the rebel group staying in a hospital. What transpires later forms the crux of the story.
- Sujitha as Manimekalai
- Sriman as Dr. Subhash Chandra Bose aka Subhash
- Kushboo as Lakshmi
- C. Arunpandian as LTTE fighter
- Chandrasekhar as Mohamed Sherif
- Sudhangan as Murali
- Sakthi Kumar as Yoganathan
- Arulmani as Bhagavathi Pandian
- Kalairani as Subhash's mother
- Diana as Shiba
- Premi as Manimekalai's mother
- B. Sujith
- Mu. Kalaivaanan
- Ruban George as Police officer
- K. Vijayakumar
- B. N. Swaminathan
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||'Sri Gananatha Sindhoora'||Uma Ramanan, Sunandha||0:33|
|2||'Theeradha Vilaiyattu Pillai'||Uma Ramanan, Sunandha||1:05|
|3||'Vaarthai Thavari Vittai'||Uma Ramanan||1:28|
- "Kaatrukenna Veli (2001) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Kaatrukkenna Veli (2001)". gomolo.com. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Filmography of kaatrukkenna veli". cinesouth.com. Archived from the original on 13 August 2004. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Find Tamil movie Kaatrukenna Veli". jointscene.com. Archived from the original on 2 February 2010. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Uchithanai Mukarnthal Review". IndiaGlitz. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Uchithanai Mugarndhal on Dec 16". sify.com. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2016.