Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Arun Kumar Aravind|
|Produced by||Arun Kumar Aravind|
|Music by||Deepak Dev|
|Edited by||Arun Kumar Aravind|
Kaattu (lit. Wind) is a 2017 Indian Malayalam-language period film directed and produced by Arun Kumar Aravind. It was written by Ananthapadmanabhan based on the short story by his father Padmarajan. The film is set in late 1970s, it stars Asif Ali, Murali Gopy, Varalaxmi Sarathkumar and Manasa Radhakrishnan. Kaattu was released in India on 13 October 2017.
- Asif Ali as Nuhukannu
- Murali Gopy as Chellappan
- Varalaxmi Sarathkumar as Muthulakshmi
- Shebin Benson as Afsal
- Manasa Radhakrishnan as Ummukkulsu
- Unni P. Dev as Pauly
- Pankan Thamarassery as Moopan
- Saritha Sunil as Kochuparvathi
- N. Santhanam as Nunkalaisangamam
The film scripted by Ananthapadmanabhan is based on his father Padmarajan's short story. The filming commenced in April 2017. The story happens in the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border set in late 1970s. The film was shot in Palakkad, Kerala. According to Aravind, the film is "a mix of many genres". Ali plays the character Nuhukannu, "we happened to make a few sketches to shape the look of Nuhukannu and it's the face of Asif Ali that came to our mind, once they were complete", said Aravind. Gopy plays the role of Chellappan, which he describes as "unapologetically characterised and has an intricate nature of its own". Varalaxmi plays Muthulakshmi, a village belle. Manasa plays the role of Ummukkulusu, "a chirpy and energetic Muslim girl" as she describes.
Meera Suresh of The New Indian Express wrote: "Arun Kumar Aravind proves he is good at his craft, making this drama a treat." S. R. Praveen from The Hindu wrote : "The film treads the thick line between outdated and refreshing, taking detours to both sides, but managing to finish on a strong note". Veeyen rated the film as "Good" and said: "A primitive allure that had been long lost makes a revisit through ‘Kaattu’, and it’s a peculiar combo of the dismal and the lyrical that Arun Kumar Aravind comes up with in his new film. It’s a complex character drama that is tonally and visually notable; a foreboding and dark tale that makes for austere viewing and told with an uncanny grace." Sanjith Sidhardhan of The Times of India gave the movie three stars out of five and stated that "It is a lesson in classical filmmaking and storytelling that develops its characters, narrates a good story and has a satisfying denouement, all without the use of any modern gimmicks." K. R. Rejeesh of nowrunning.com also gave the movie three stars, writing: "Kaattu is a refreshing and captivating film with its powerful statement about the craft of a filmmaker and the smart writing by a scenarist." Aswin Bharadwaj S of lensmenreviews.com rated it 3/5 and wrote: "The well etched characters and the honest performances make Kaattu an indulgent watch."
- Soman, Deepa (15 July 2017). "Asif Ali's Nuhukannu video is here". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Prakash, Asha (12 April 2017). "Arun Kumar Aravind's film Kaattu kicks off". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Suresh, Meera (14 June 2017). "'Kaattu is all about human emotions'". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Soma, Deepa (14 July 2017). "Asif Ali was chosen to play Nuhukannu in 'Kattu' for an interesting reason, says director Arun Kumar Aravind". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (17 May 2017). "Kaatu will have Asif Ali's best performance yet: Arun Kumar Aravind". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Soman, Deepa (19 July 2017). "Asif Ali speaks about his character in 'Kaattu'". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Jayaram, Deepika (2 July 2017). "Murali Gopy's next has him playing the rugged Chellappan". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (16 May 2017). "Varalaxmi to play a village belle in Kaattu". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (13 May 2017). "Varalaxmi Sarathkumar joins Murali Gopy and Asif Ali in Kaattu". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- James, Anu (6 July 2017). "Kaattu: Meet Left Right Left director's new unibrow heroine Manasa Radhakrishnan aka Ummukkulsu". International Business Times. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- Stolworthy, Jacob (25 July 2018). "Every new TV show and movie coming to Netflix in August". The Independent. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Kaattu". Netflix. 1 August 2018. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- Suresh, Meera (14 October 2017). "Kaattu: A tale of human emotions". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Praveen, S.R. (13 October 2017). "Kaattu blows despite headwinds". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (13 October 2017). "Kaattu Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Rejeesh, K.R. (13 October 2017). "Kaattu Review". NowRunning.com. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Bharadwaj S, Aswin. "Kaattu Review". Lensman Reviews. Retrieved 16 October 2017.