|Region||Western Region of Uganda|
|• Mayor||Emmanuel Byamugisha Sentaro|
|• MP||Andrew Baryayanga, Municipality|
|• MP||Wilfred Niwagaba, Ndorwa East|
|• MP||David Bahati, Ndorwa West|
|• MP||Catherine Ndamira, Woman MP|
|Elevation||7,000 ft (2,000 m)|
Sometimes nicknamed "Kastone" as in the local language Rukiga, a "kabale" is a small stone.
Kabale is located in the Kabale District of the Kigezi sub-region. It is about 142 kilometres (88 mi), by road, southwest of Mbarara, the largest city in the Western Region of Uganda. This is approximately 410 kilometres (250 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The town lies 2,000 metres (6,600 ft) above sea level with the coordinates: 01 15 00S, 29 59 24E (Latitude:-1.2500; 29.9900).
In 1969, the national census that year enumerated 8,234 people in Kabale Town. According to the national census of 1980, that population had grown to 21,469. In 1991, the census hat year enumerated 29,246 inhabitants. In the 2002 national census, Kabale had 41,344 residents. The 2014 national census and household survey enumerated 49,186 people. In 2020, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the mid-year population if the town at 53,200. UBOS calculated that the population of Kabale Town, grew at an average rate of 1.36 percent, annually, between 2014 and 2020.
Points of interest
The other points of interest within the town limits or close to the edges of town include the following:
- headquarters of Kabale District Administration
- offices of Kabale City Council
- Kabale Regional Referral Hospital, a 250-bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- branch of the National Social Security Fund
- Kabale Currency Centre, a currency storage and processing facility owned and operated by the Bank of Uganda, Uganda's Central Bank
- Kabale University, a government university
- Kabale Airport, a civilian airport operated by Kabale Municipality
- Kabale Campus of Uganda Martyrs University
- Kabale Golf Course
- Rugarama Hospital 200 patient bed capacity Church of Uganda founded general Hospital
- Rushoroza Hospital - 200 Patients bed capacity, manageged by the Catholic Church
- Rushoroza Cathedral - seat of the Catholic diocese of Kabale, found in Kabale City
- Radio Maria Uganda - Kabale Station, located on Rushoroza Hill
- St Mary's College Rushoroza - Kabale, founded by the Catholic church
- St Paul's Seminary Rushoroza - founded by the Catholic church
Impressions of Kabale
- Peter Mugarura - Economist and Development Economics Specialist
- Benon Fred Twinamasiko, Physicist, Makerere University
- Augustus Nuwagaba, Social worker and academic
- Edith Mary Bataringaya, activist and politician
- Emmanuel Tumusiime-Mutebile - Governor Bank of Uganda
- Ruhakana Rugunda - Prime Minister of Republic of Uganda
- Callistus Rubaramira - Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kabale
- Ian Mugisha, Life coach, Marriage counselor.
- George Bagamuhunda - Bishop of the Church of Uganda Diocese of Kigezi
- Ezra Suruma - Economist & Academic
- Eli Nathan Bisamunyu - Politician and Historian
- Mukama Prince Mbogo - Professor and Philosophical Anthropologist Lives in the USA
- Uganda Bureau of Statistics (14 June 2020). "The population of all Ugandan cities and towns with more than 15,000 inhabitants according to census results and latest official projections" (Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics). Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 2 September 2021.
- "Kabale Municipality gears up for central market upgrade". New Vision (New Vision). 18 Dec 2018. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- Google (2 September 2021). "Road Distance Between Mbarara, Uganda And Kabale, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 September 2021.
- Google (2 September 2021). "Road Distance Between Kampala, Uganda And Kabale, Uganda With Map" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 September 2021.
- Google (2 July 2015). "Location of Kabale, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- Uwera, Runyambo (12 April 2010). "Central Bank Launches Currency Centre". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- Lake Bunyonyi & Kabale in Your Pocket - A free downloadable booklet about Lake Bunyonyi and Kabale
- Kabale Faces Shortage of Clean Water