|Kabale Regional Referral Hospital|
|Uganda Ministry of Health|
|Hospital type||General and Teaching|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda
Medical education in Uganda
Kabale Regional Referral Hospital, commonly known as Kabale Hospital, is a hospital in the town of Kabale in Kabale District, in south-western Uganda. It is the referral hospital for the districts of Kabale, Kanungu, Kisoro and Rukungiri. It is proposed that the hospital will become the teaching hospital of Kabale University once its medical school is established.
Kabale Hospital is located in the central business district of the town of Kabale, approximately 139 kilometres (86 mi), by road, south-west of Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital. This is about 404 kilometres (251 mi) south-west of Mulago National Referral Hospital. The coordinates of Kabale Regional Referral Hospital are 1°15'04.0"S, 29°59'21.0"E (Latitude:-1.251111; Longitude:29.989167).
Kabale Hospital is a public hospital, funded by the Uganda Ministry of Health and general care in the hospital is free. It is one of the thirteen regional referral hospitals in Uganda. The hospital is designated as one of the fifteen internship hospitals in Uganda where graduates of Ugandan medical schools can serve of internship under the supervision of qualified specialists and consultants. The bed capacity of Kabale Hospital is quoted at 280, although many more admissions are made, with the excess sleeping on the floor.
In 2014, work to expand and renovate the hospital got underway, in anticipation of turning the hospital into the teaching hospital of Kabale University. The renovations include the construction of new operating rooms (surgical theatre), the upgrading and expansion of the maternity ward, and construction of a modern out-patients department. UGX:20 billion was budgeted for the work.
- MoH (15 November 2016). "Republic of Uganda, Ministry of Health: Kabale Regional Referral Hospital". Uganda Ministry of Health (MoH). Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Muhereza, Robert (24 September 2014). "Kabale To Upgrade Hospital". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- GFC (2 June 2016). "Distance between Kabale Hospital, Kabale, Western Region, Uganda and Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- GFC (2 June 2016). "Distance between Kabale Regional Referral Hospital, Kabale, Western Region, Uganda and Mulago National Referral Hospital, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- Google (2 June 2016). "Location of Kabale Regional Referral Hospital" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- BMAU (June 2014). "Rehabilitation of Regional Referral Hospitals In Uganda: What Should Be Done Differently?" (PDF). Uganda Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development.
- Wanjiru, Phyllis (4 May 2016). "Kabale Hospital Intern doctors on strike over unpaid allowances". Kampala: Uganda Capital Radio. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- Muhereza, Robert (13 May 2016). "Striking Kabale hospital interns resume work". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- Kushaba, Anthony (9 August 2012). "Expectant Mothers Sleep on the Floor in Kabale Hospital". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 3 June 2016.