Kabalega Hydroelectric Power Station
|Kabalega Hydroelectric Power Station|
|Commission date||January 2013|
|Nameplate capacity||9 MW (12,000 hp)|
Kabalega Hydroelectric Power Station, also known as Kabalega Power Station is a 9 MW (12,000 hp) mini hydroelectric power project located across River Wambabya, in Buseruka Sub County, Hoima District, in Western Uganda. At the beginning of planning and during construction, the power station was referred to as Buseruka Power Station, but was renamed after completion.
The initial estimated cost for the dam and power plant was approximately US$30 million. As time went on, that estimate was increased to US$36 million. The dam, power plant and 44 kilometres (27 mi) of high voltage transmission line from the power house to Kinubi Power Substation in Hoima, are being constructed by Hydromax, a private energy investor. Funding for the project is facilitated by loans from the African Development Bank (US$9 million) and from the PTA Bank (US$10 million).
Construction, which started in 2005, was completed in January 2013 and was commissioned by the president of Uganda, Yoweri Museveni, on 26 January 2013. At that time, the high voltage line which will evacuate the power generated to a substation that will integrate into the national grid, was yet to be completed.
- List of power stations in Uganda
- List of hydropower stations in Africa
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- Kasita, Ibrahim (29 September 2012). "Uganda Lacks Welders Artisans To Take Oil Jobs". New Vision. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Mugerwa, Francis (28 August 2013). "Oil Gives Bunyoro A New Lease of Life". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Buseruka and Hoima with Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Atuhairwe, Robert (21 September 2011). "Hoima Power Dam Works End November 2011". New Vision. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Kwesiga, Pascal (23 August 2009). "Hoima Plant To Supply Electricity". New Vision. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Kasita, Ibrahim (19 April 2009). "AfDB Lends US$9 Million for Buseruka Power Dam". New Vision. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Brian Mayanja, Pascal Kwesiga and Robert Atuhairwe (26 January 2013). "Museveni Launches Hoima Power Plant". New Vision. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Kalyango, Ronald (25 January 2013). "Buseruka Dam to Supply Power to 1,000 Homes". New Vision. Retrieved 5 May 2014.