Kabuliwala (1957 film)
Kabuliwala (1957) cover
|Directed by||Tapan Sinha|
|Screenplay by||Tapan Sinha|
|Story by||Rabindranath Tagore|
Oindrila Tagore (Tinku)
|Music by||Ravi Shankar|
|Edited by||Subodh Ray|
Rahmat (Chhabi Biswas), a middle-age fruit seller from Afghanistan, comes to Calcutta to hawk his merchandise. He befriends a small Bengali girl called Mini (Oindrila Tagore aka Tinku Tagore) who reminds him of his daughter back in Afghanistan. He stays at a boarding house with his countrymen.
One day, Rahmat receives a letter with news of his daughter’s illness; he decides to leave for his country. Since he is short of money he sells his goods on credit to increase his business. Later, when he goes to collect his money, one of his customers abuses him. In the fight that ensues, Rahmat warns that he will not tolerate abuse and stabs the guy when he does not stop.
In the court Rahmat's lawyer tries to obfuscate the facts but, in his characteristic and simple fashion, Rahmat states the truth in a matter-of-fact way. The judge, pleased with Rahmat's honesty, gives him 10 years' rigorous imprisonment instead of the death sentence.
On the day of his release he goes to meet Mini and discovers that she has grown up into a 14-year-old girl who is about to get married. Mini does not recognize Rahmat, who realizes that his daughter must have forgotten him, too. Mini's father gives Rahmat the money for travel out of the wedding budget to which Mini agrees; she also sends a gift for Rahmat's daughter.
- Chhabi Biswas as Rahmat
- Tinku as Mini
- Radhamohan Bhattacharya as Girl's Father
- Manju Dey as Girl's Mother
- Jiben Bose as Jailor
- Asha Devi as Maid
- Kali Banerjee
- Jahar Ray
- Nripati Chatterjee
- National Film Awards
- Silver Bear Extraordinary Prize of the Jury - 7th Berlin International Film Festival
- "4th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "7th Berlin International Film Festival: Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- Kabuliwala at AllMovie
- Kabuliwala at the Internet Movie Database
- Kabuliwala (1956) detailed info at www.upperstall.com
- Kabuliwala by Rabindranath Tagore Translation
|This article about a Bengali film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|