Kadafi, circa 1996.
|Birth name||Yafeu Akiyele Fula|
|Also known as||Young Hollywood, Killer Kadafi, Tha Prince|
October 9, 1977|
Bronx, New York, U.S
|Origin||Montclair, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Died||November 10, 1996
Orange, New Jersey, U.S.
|Genres||Hip hop, gangsta rap|
|Labels||Death Row Records/Makaveli Records/Interscope 7dayz Records/Havenotz Entertainment|
|Associated acts||Tupac Shakur, Outlawz, Tha Dogg Pound, Nate Dogg, O.F.T.B., Snoop Dogg, Boot Camp Click, Dramacydal|
Yafeu Akiyele Fula (October 9, 1977 – November 10, 1996), better known by his stage name Yaki Kadafi, was an American rapper who was best known as a founder and member of the rap groups Outlawz and Dramacydal. Kadafi's parents, Yaasmyn Fula and Sekou Odinga, were both members of the Black Panther Party. Fula, and Tupac Shakur's mother, Afeni Shakur, were close friends, and Kadafi and Tupac were friends until their deaths in 1996.
Yafeu Fula was born to Sekou Odinga and Yaasmyn Fula on October 9, 1977. When Fula was 4 years old, his father was arrested and charged with six counts of attempted murder, nine predicate acts of Racketeering Influenced Corrupt Organization (RICO), assisting in the escape of Assata Shakur from prison, and violent theft of an armored truck. Yafeu and his seven siblings were raised by their mother, whose surname he adopted.
In 1994, Fula ran into his childhood friend Mutah "Napoleon" Beale. Yafeu's mom introduced Napoleon to 2Pac, and all 3 created Dramacydal. Yafeu, only 16, took on the stage name of Young Hollywood. The group appeared on 2Pac's album Me Against The World.
When 2Pac was in prison in 1995 on sexual assault charges, Kadafi visited him daily. At one of these visits, 2Pac and Kadafi decided to form the rap group "Outlawz" which would bring many members back from Tupac's earlier groups; Dramacydal and Thug Life. Also, Fula teamed up with fellow Outlawz member Hussein Fatal to record material under the name "Fatal-N-Felony." An album was planned but it never materialized, however some songs planned for the album appeared on Son Rize Vol.1. That same year, upon 2Pac's release from prison, Kadafi met with 2Pac to sign with Death Row. He guest starred on 2Pac's "All Eyez On Me" and featured on 3 songs. At this point Fula began his entry into the public eye, appearing in Music Videos, going to award shows, and appearing on stage performing. The Outlawz recorded frequently with 2Pac all throughout 1996.
On September 13, 1996, 2Pac died after being shot multiple times in a drive-by shooting near the Las Vegas Strip on September 7. Kadafi was in the car directly behind 2Pac, and claimed to have seen the white Cadillac pull up alongside 2Pac and open fire. Kadafi reportedly said he could identify the driver and had requested to keep it 100% confidential but was exposed by news reporters.
On November 10, 1996, 2 months after 2Pac's death, Kadafi was found slumped in the 3rd-floor stairwell of an apartment building at 325 Mechanic Street, in Orange, New Jersey, USA. According to the news report in the Las Vegas Sun, Fula was found by New Jersey police at 3:48 a.m. Fula had been accidentally shot once in the head by Napoleon's cousin, who later turned himself into the police and served 7–8 years in prison.
The Washington Times named Fula in their List of Rappers gunned down. His death has been written about in numerous printed publications including the book, The Killing of Tupac Shakur, by Cathy Scott and several others.
- Me Against The World (Tupac Shakur album) ("Me Against the World"; "Outlaw")
- All Eyez on Me (Tupac Shakur album) ("All Bout U"; "When We Ride")
- The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory (Tupac Shakur album) ("Hail Mary"; "Just Like Daddy")
- Gang Related (soundtrack) (Film Soundtrack by Various artists) ("Staring Through My Rearview"; "Made Niggaz")
- R U Still Down? (Remember Me) (Tupac Shakur album) ("Enemies With Me"; "When I Get Free II")
- Greatest Hits (Tupac Shakur album) ("Hail Mary"; "Me Against the World"; "Hit 'Em Up"; "All Bout U")
- Suge Knight Represents: Chronic 2000 (Compilation album by Various artists) ("Who Do U Believe In")
- Until the End of Time (Tupac Shakur album) ("M.O.B."; "Lastonesleft"; "Runnin' On E"; "U Don't Have 2 Worry")
- Better Dayz (Tupac Shakur album) ("Fuck 'Em All"; "Late Night"; "Fame"; "There U Go"; "Who U Believe In"; "They Don't Give a Fuck About Us")
- Tupac Resurrection (Tupac Shakur album) ("Secretz of War"; "Starin' Through My Rear View")
- Pac's Life (Tupac Shakur album) ("Don't Sleep"; "Soon As I Get Home"; "Don't Stop"; "Untouchable")
- ""IMDb Biography of Yafeu Fula" IMDb". IMDb. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Yaasym Fula interview with Kadafi Legacy" (PDF). Kadfilegacy. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- "Witness to Rapper's killing is shot dead". latimes.com. Retrieved May 22, 2012.
- Scott, Cathy. "Shakur shooting witness found dead in N.J.". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Napoleon (Outlawz) on his Cousin Accidentally Killing Kadafi". YouTube. DJ Vlad. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "List of Rappers gunned down". Washington Times. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- The Killing of Tupac Shakur. Retrieved 5 June 2012.
- "Published books about Yaki Kadafi". Retrieved 5 June 2012.