Kadakkal Thiruvathira - A well-known festival ritual
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 24|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kollam|
Kadakkal is a historic town located in the eastern part of Kollam district, Kerala. It is 44 km away from Kollam City, 50 km away from Thiruvananthapuram and 5 km east of Nilamel, which is on Trivandrum – Angamaly State Highway (MC Road). State highway 64 passes through the town. The town is an important business centre and is known for its spice production and trade.
Kadakkal is known for a long time and is the place where one of the notable movement of Indian independence movement took place. Kadakkal Riot Case is listed by the Home Ministry, Government of India as one of the 39 movements that led to India getting freedom from the British Raj. It is known as the "Kadakkal Riot Case" and was led by Franco Raghavan Pillai.
Kadakkal town is an important business centre. Kadakkal Chantha (Market) is famous, especially for its agrarian commodity business like coconut, areca nut, copra, tapioca, rubber, etc. . Kadakkal Panchayat is a Special Grade Panchayat. It spreads over an area of 48.9 km2 and has a population of 30236 with 14221 males and 16015 females, according to 2001 census. Pangode, Chithara, Nilamel, Ittiva, Kummil and Chadayamangalam are the neighboring Panchayats. Kadakkal is reachable through Nilamel, and is well connected through Anchal, Kilimanoor and Madathara. Kadakkal is one of the place which facilitates easiest roadway facility provided town which inter connects Tamil Nadu and Kerala as a by route. This town which is near to neighbouring state, Tamil Nadu only 63 km away.
Tourist Attractions near by Kadakkal
- Mattidampara, kadakkal
- Meenmutti water falls
- Jadayu Rock, Chadayamangalam
- Ponmudi Hills
- Thenmala Eco Tourist Centre, Thenmala
- Thenmala Dam
- Palaruvi waterfalls
- Kuttalam Waterfalls
- Kottukkal cave temple
- Varkala Beach
- Edathara madan nada sree durga devi temple
- mukunnery sree aayiravilli Temple
- Palakkal Sree Chavarukavu Mahadeva Kshethram
- Kanniarkuzhy Water Falls
- oil palm chithara
Educational institutions ranging from lower primary schools to professional colleges which ensures the population gets affordable education. The institutions includes both managed under government control as well private sector.
The partial listing as below,
- CP HSS, Kuttikkadu-kadakkal
- Govt. Vocational Higher Secondary School Kadakkal
- Govt. UP School, Kadakkal
- Govt. Town LP School, Kadakkal
- UP School, Kuttikkadu-Kadakkal
- Travancore Devasom Board School, Altharamoodu-Kadakkal
- Murukkumon UPS School,Murukkumon
- National Open School, Kadakkal
- Nehru Memorial Model School, Attupuram-Kadakkal
- Ex-Service Men's School, Attupuram-kadakkal
- SN School, Kottapuram-kadakkal
- Shanthinikethan Central school, kadakkal
- Mukkada LPS.
- A.G.Public School, Swamimukku
- SHM Engineering College, Kadakkal
- PMSA Arts and Science College, Kuttikkadu-Kadakkal
- MSM Arabic College, Kadakkal
- GIMS MBA College, Kottappuram
Kadakkal Devi Temple is a famous temple of this region and is known for the Thiruvathira festival celebrated in March, and is one of the most attractive festivals of the region. The temple festivities attract large crowds from various parts of the state. The festival is celebrated over a period of ten days programme. The main attractions of the festival is Eduppukuthira (Chariot). The deity is known as Kadakkal Amma and is considered a very powerful deity by the peoples. The ten-day "Thiruvathira" festival ends with 'Kuruzi' (കുരുസി).
- Kadakkal bus stand (KSRTC & Pvt)
- Nearest Airport is Trivandrum International Airport, which is 57 km away.
- The town is well-connected with Varkkala, Kollam Jn and Punalur railway stations.
Places of worship
- Kadakkal Devi Temple, Altharamoodu
- Kilimarathumkavu Sree Lord Shiva Temple, Kadakkal
- Town Sree Madan Nada Temple, Kadakkal
- Thrikkannapuram Sree Mahavishnu Temple
- Arinirathum para Temple, Altharamoodu
- Kattukulangara sree mahavishnu Temple, Anappara etc
- Oonnan Kallu temple,kuttikadu
- Peruttukavu, Kuttikkadu
- Thudayannoor sree arathakandappan temple
- Govindamangalam sree mahavishnu temple
- Thrikkannapuram Church
- Town Juma Masjid, Kadakkal
- Palakkal Sree Chavarukavu Mahadeva Kshethram
- Kadakkal Jumua Masjid, Pallimukku
- Ayirakkuzhy Muslim Jamath
- Peringadu Juma Masjid
- Thekkil Juma Masjid
- Mukkoodu Juma Masjid
- Home Ministry, Government of India. "List of Freedom Movements" (PDF). Government of India. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Kadakkal, Panchayat. "Kadakkal Panahayat Website". Government of Kerala. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Census Commissioner, Home Ministry, Govt of India. "2001 Census - Population details". Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 11 February 2008. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kadakkal.|