Kadavar at Maifeld Derby, 2016. From left to right: Simon Bouteloup, Christoph Lindemann and Christoph Bartelt.
|Genres||Hard rock, psychedelic rock, stoner rock, occult rock|
|Labels||This Charming Man/Tee Pee, Nuclear Blast|
Christoph "Lupus" Lindemann|
Christoph "Tiger" Bartelt
Simon "Dragon" Bouteloup
|Past members||Philipp "Mammut" Lippitz|
Kadavar are a German rock band from Berlin, founded in 2010. Their retro sound, incorporating psychedelic rock and stoner rock, has been compared to bands of the 1970s hard rock/heavy metal era such as Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Kadavar currently consists of guitarist/lead vocalist Christoph "Lupus" Lindemann, drummer Christoph "Tiger" Bartelt and bassist Simon "Dragon" Bouteloup.
In 2010, drummer Bartelt and guitarist Philipp "Mammut" Lippitz began playing together. They became a band when Lindemann joined as bassist and vocalist. Lindemann decided to switch to guitar, allowing Lippitz to switch to bass. Their first recording, an eponymous two-song CDR, was self-released on 25 August 2011.
A collaboration with the band Aqua Nebula Oscillator resulted in the release of the White Ring album in November 2012.
Due to visa problems, a planned U.S. tour could not take place, although the band did appear at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas on 15 March 2013. While in Texas, the band recorded various video clips of themselves which were later used to create the music video for their song "Come Back Life", which was produced by Bartelt.
In July 2013, Lippitz left the band to concentrate on his new group the Loranes. He was replaced by Bouteloup, previously of metal band the Oath. After several live performances, Bouteloup was officially announced as a new member.
In early 2014, Kadavar started touring with fellow retro-style hard rock band Wolfmother. In July 2014, Wolfmother jammed and recorded a few songs in Kadavar's studio. On 6 June 2014, Kadavar released a live album, Live in Antwerp.
In June 2015, Kadavar announced their third album, Berlin, on their Facebook page. It was released by Nuclear Blast on 21 August and included a cover of Nico's "Reich der Träume" as a bonus track. The album entered the charts in several countries, hitting No. 18 in Germany and No. 40 in Belgium.
Kadavar's fourth album, Rough Times, was released on 29 September 2017.
In the studio, Kadavar use "hard panning" production techniques (guitar tracks on the left channel, bass on the right, drums on the inside right and vocals in the middle) to accurately reproduce the sound of their live performances. Their style has been categorized as occult rock.
- Christoph "Lupus" Lindemann – guitar, vocals (2010–present), bass guitar (2010)
- Christoph "Tiger" Bartelt – drums (2010–present)
- Simon "Dragon" Bouteloup – bass guitar (2013–present)
- Philipp "Mammut" Lippitz – bass guitar (2010–2013), guitar (2010)
- Kadavar (2012, This Charming Man Records/Tee Pee Records)
- Abra Kadavar (2013, Nuclear Blast)
- Berlin (2015, Nuclear Blast)
- Rough Times (2017, Nuclear Blast)
Singles and EPs
- Kadavar CD single (2011, self-released)
- "Creature of the Demon" 7" single (2012, This Charming Man Records)
- "The Old Man" digital single (2015, Nuclear Blast)
- Live in Antwerp (2014, Nuclear Blast)
With Aqua Nebula Oscillator
- White Ring (2012, This Charming Man Records)
- "KADAVAR: Interview mit Tiger, Lindemann und Mammut". powermetal.de.
- "Kadavar - Kadavar". Discogs.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Kadavar". AllMusic.
- "Kadavar". SXSW Schedule 2013.
- "Occult Rock Magazine: Interview with Kadavar". occultrock.com.
- "KADAVAR – verkünden Besetzungswechsel!". nuclearblast.de.
- "Abra Kadavar by Kadavar". Rate Your Music. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "KADAVAR – stürmen die deutschen Albencharts!". nuclearblast.de.
- "Kadavar arbeiten mit Wolfmother zusammen". Metal Hammer.
- "Wolfmother Rocks OC Fans At The Observatory". concertguidelive.com.
- "KADAVAR - hey everybody here is the tracklist of our... - Facebook". facebook.com.
- "KADAVAR: "Berlin" Chart Entries Announced". Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- [dead link]
- Moore, Anthony. "Kadavar Reveal New Album Artwork & Track Listing". Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- Phillips, Alex. "Review: KADAVAR Abra Kadavar". Metal Injection. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kadavar.|