|Directed by||Velu Prabhakaran|
|Written by||Velu Prabhakaran|
|Edited by||Nandamuri Haribabu|
Deccan Pictures PVT. LTD.
Kadavul (transl. God) is a 1997 Tamil language film directed by Velu Prabhakaran. The film stars Velu Prabhakaran, Manivannan, Arun Pandiyan, Mansoor Ali Khan and Roja. It was released on 5 December 1997. Despite having controversial themes, the film was well received.
Parvathi (Roja), a young woman, is a goddess believer while her father (V. Gopalakrishnan) is the priest of a temple. After a quarrel between two castes during a Hindu festival, the temple was closed off. Five years later, the temple reopens.
Muthu (Rahul) and Thenmozhi (Nandhini) are in love but they are not of the same caste. Velusamy (Karikalan), Thenmozhi's uncle, finds out their love and forces her to marry him.
K. Shanmugam (Mansoor Ali Khan), a corrupt MLA, kills a girl and blames Thamizharasan (Arun Pandian). Thamizharasan fights against injustice and is a revolutionary. Angry, Thamizharasan tries to kill him but fails and eventually steals his money. In the process, Thamizharasan is injured and the prostitute Shenbagam (Rupasri) takes care of him.
Rajapandi (Velu Prabhakaran), an atheist, propagates the non-existence of God. One day, he saves Parvathi from her uncle K. Shanmugam and accidentally marries her. Soon, Rajapandi gets beaten by the devotees. In anger, Rajapandi challenges God to become a human and understand the humans, and God (Manivannan) appears as a human.
- Velu Prabhakaran as Rajapandi
- Manivannan as God
- Arun Pandian as Thamizharasan
- Mansoor Ali Khan as K. Shanmugam M.L.A
- Roja as Parvathi
- Rahul as Muthu
- Nandhini as Thenmozhi
- V. Gopalakrishnan as Parvathi's father
- Karikalan as Velusamy
- Naga Kannan
- Roopa Sri as Shenbagam
- J. Lalitha as Thenmozhi's mother
- Vincent Roy
- Meesai Murugesan as Naidu
- V. Pandu
Sathyaraj had been first choice to play the lead role, but his refusal prompted Velu Prabhakaran to take on the lead role himself. Delhi-based model and former air hostess Nandhini was signed on to play a role after the director had seen her modelling pictures.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||"Aadi Sivan Tholil Irukkum"||Bhavatharini||Pulamaipithan||5:40|
|2||"Ariviruntha Konjam"||Malaysia Vasudevan||4:51|
|3||"Enakku Oru Raasa"||Amudha||5:08|
|4||"Kaathalai"||P. Unni Krishnan, Sujatha||5:07|
|5||"Kovilukku Irukkum"||K. S. Chithra||4:52|
|6||"Poovarasan Poove"||Arunmozhi, Sujatha||5:20|
In January 2018, Prabhakaran announced that he would be making a sequel to the film. The film has RR Tami Selvan, Swathy as the lead pair with Imman Annachi and veteran Seetha essaying crucial roles.
- "A-Z (III) - INDOlink". indolink.com. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar (26 June 2009). "Grill Mill". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 28 December 2013. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "'Manaivikku nadanda thirumanam'". Behindwoods.com. 19 July 2007. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Entertainment News: Latest Bollywood & Hollywood News, Today's Entertainment News Headlines". Archived from the original on 20 February 2008.
- "1997-98 Kodambakkam babies Page: Part 2". www.indolink.com. Archived from the original on 22 June 2001. Retrieved 12 January 2022.
- "Kadavul — Illayaraja". thiraipaadal.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Kadavul Songs". Raaga.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Download Kadavul by Various Artists on Nokia Music". music.ovi.com. Archived from the original on 30 June 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Bharathiraja's Kadavul 2 co starring Seeman with music by Ilayaraja launch on Jan 18". 16 January 2018.
- "Kadavul 2 coming soon". 2 January 2019.