|Directed by||Velu Prabhakaran|
|Written by||Velu Prabhakaran|
|Edited by||Nandamuri Haribabu|
Deccan Pictures PVT. LTD.
Kadavul (English: God) is a 1997 Tamil anti-theist film directed by Velu Prabhakaran. The film features Velu Prabhakaran, Manivannan, Arun Pandiyan, Mansoor Ali Khan and Roja in lead roles. The film, produced by H. Anraaj, had musical score by Ilaiyaraaja and was released on 5 December 1997. Despite having controversial themes, the film was well received. The film was dubbed and released in Telugu as Shakti.
Parvathi (Roja), a young woman, is a goddess believer while her father (V. Gopalakrishnan) is the priest of a temple. After a quarrel between two castes during a Hindu festival, the temple was closed off. Five years later, the temple reopens.
Muthu (Rahul) and Thenmozhi (Nandhini) are in love but they are not of the same caste. Velusamy (Karikalan), Thenmozhi's uncle, finds out their love and forces her to marry him.
K. Shanmugam (Mansoor Ali Khan), a corrupt MLA, kills a girl and blames Thamizharasan (Arun Pandian). Thamizharasan fights against injustice and is a revolutionary. Angry, Thamizharasan tries to kill him but fails and eventually steals his money. In the process, Thamizharasan is injured and the prostitute Shenbagam (Rupasri) takes care of him.
Rajapandi (Velu Prabhakaran), an atheist, propagates the non-existence of God. One day, he saves Parvathi from her uncle K. Shanmugam and accidentally marries her. Soon, Rajapandi gets beaten by the devotees. In anger, Rajapandi challenges God to become a human and understand the humans, and God (Manivannan) appears as a human.
- Velu Prabhakaran as Rajapandi
- Manivannan as God
- Arun Pandian as Thamizharasan
- Mansoor Ali Khan as K. Shanmugam
- Roja as Parvathi
- Rahul as Muthu
- Nandhini as Thenmozhi
- V. Gopalakrishnan as Parvathi's father
- Karikalan as Velusamy
- Naga Kannan
- Roopa Sri as Shenbagam
- J. Lalitha as Thenmozhi's mother
- Vincent Roy
- Meesai Murugesan as Naidu
- V. Pandu
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||'Aadi Sivan Tholil Irukkum'||Bhavatharini||5:40|
|2||'Ariviruntha Konjam'||Malaysia Vasudevan||4:51|
|3||'Enakku Oru Raasa'||Amrutaa||5:08|
|4||'Kaathalai'||P. Unni Krishnan, Sujatha Mohan||5:07|
|5||'Kovilukku Irukkum'||K. S. Chithra||4:52|
|6||'Poovarasan Poove'||Arunmozhi, Sujatha Mohan||5:20|
In January 2018, Prabhakaran announced that he would be making a sequel to the film. The film has RR Tami Selvan, Swathy as the lead pair with Imman Annachi and veteran Seetha essaying crucial roles.
- "Kadavul (1997) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "A-Z (III) - INDOlink". indolink.com. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar (26 June 2009). "Grill Mill". hindu.com. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "'Manaivikku nadanda thirumanam'". behindwoods.com. 19 July 2007. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- "Kadavul — Illayaraja". thiraipaadal.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Kadavul Songs". raaga.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Download Kadavul by Various Artists on Nokia Music". music.ovi.com. Archived from the original on 30 June 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.