Kader Abdolah in October 2008
|Born||Hossein Sadjadi Ghaemmaghami Farahani
12 November 1954
|Pen name||Kader Abdolah|
|Alma mater||University of Teheran|
Hossein Sadjadi Ghaemmaghami Farahani (Persian: حسین سجادی قائممقامی فراهانی; born 12 November 1954 in Arak, Iran), better known by his pen name Kader Abdolah (Persian: قادر عبدالله), is a Persian–Dutch writer, poet and columnist. He has written books and many articles in Dutch and is known for using Persian literary themes in his Dutch works. He regularly appears on Dutch TV channels as well.
Kader Abdolah studied physics in Arak College of Science (today's Arak university) in Arak, Iran and graduated in 1977. After graduation he served his mandatory military service at Iranian Navy in Bandar Pahlavi (today's Bandar-e-Anzali) During the revolution he joined the left-wing movement opposing the Shah – and later the Khomeini – regimes. He fled to the Netherlands as a political refugee in 1988. In 2006 he was writer in residence at Leiden University. Today he lives in Delft, writing under a pseudonym composed of the names of two executed friends.
Het huis van de moskee (The House of the Mosque) catapulted Abdolah onto the Dutch bestseller lists. It was voted second best Dutch novel ever in the Netherlands. The English translation was released worldwide in January 2010.
- 1993 – De adelaars
- 1995 – De meisjes en de partizanen
- 1997 – De reis van de lege flessen
- 1998 – Mirza
- 2000 – Spijkerschrift (English trans.2006 "My Father's Notebook")
- 2001 – De koffer
- 2001 – Een tuin in zee
- 2002 – Kélilé en Demné
- 2002 – Sophia's droë vrugte
- 2003 – Portretten en een oude droom
- 2003 – Karavaan
- 2005 – Het huis van de moskee (The House of the Mosque)
- 2008 – De boodschapper en de Koran (Two volumes sold together: De boodschapper (The messenger) – about the life of the prophet Mohammed and Abdolah's Dutch translation of the Koran)
- 2011 – De koning
- 2011 – De kraai
- 2014 – Papegaai vloog over de IJssel
- 2016 – Salam Europa!
Honours and awards
- Gouden Ezelsoor (Golden Dog Ear) for the short story collection De adelaars – his best selling debut of 1993, awarded in 1994.
- E. du Perronprijs of 2000 for his novel Spijkerschrift.
- Knight in the Order of the Netherlands Lion (Dutch: Ridder in de Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw) in 2000.
- Knight in the French Order of Arts and Literature (French: Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres) in 2008.
- Honorary doctor at the University of Groningen in 2009.
- Invitation to write the 2011 Boekenweekgeschenk, a gift (De Kraai) to buyers of Dutch books during the Boekenweek.
- Akbar, Arifa (8 January 2010). "The House of the Mosque, By Kader Abdolah trans Susan Massotty". The Independent. London.
- "E. du Perronprijs 2000" (in Dutch). Tilburg University. Archived from the original on 16 March 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Kader Abdolah – De koning en de kraai". Nederlandse Grondwet (in Dutch). Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken en Koninkrijksrelaties (Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations). Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "Kader Abdolah "Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres"". French Embassy in The Hague. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- Luc van Kemenade (October 2008). "Universiteit eert Kader Abdolah met eredoctoraat" (in Dutch). Elsevier. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- "Kader Abdolah schrijft Boekenweekgeschenk 2011" (in Dutch). Stichting Collectieve Propaganda van het Nederlandse Boek. 13 April 2010. Archived from the original on 11 September 2011. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kader Abdolah.|
- Kader Abdolah at UC Berkeley: Literature as Resistance: Role of Clandestine Literature in Dictatorships like Iran
- "Kader Abdolah – Biography". Nederlands Literair Productie- en Vertalingenfonds (Foundation for the Production and Translation of Dutch Literature, NLPVF). 6 February 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- G.J. van Bork (2004). "Abdolah, Kader" (in Dutch). Digitale Bibliotheek voor de Nederlandse Letteren (Digital Library for Dutch Literature, DBNL). Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "Kader Abdolah" (in Dutch). Digitale Bibliotheek voor de Nederlandse Letteren (Digital Library for Dutch Literature, DBNL). Retrieved 2011-03-19.