|Directed by||Sathyan Anthikad|
|Written by||Sathyan Anthikad|
|Produced by||Thankachan Emmanuel|
|Edited by||K. Rajagopal|
True Line Cinema
|Budget||₹2.45 crore (US$310,000)|
|Box office||₹36.25 crore (US$4.5 million)|
Kadha Thudarunnu (transl. The Story Continues) is a 2010 Malayalam-language family drama film written and directed by Sathyan Anthikad. The film stars Jayaram, Mamta Mohandas, Anikha Surendran and Asif Ali . In the film, Vidyalakshmi struggles to lead a normal life with her daughter after the sudden death of her husband. However, meeting Preman, an auto-rickshaw driver, changes her life for the better.
Kadha Thudarunnu was Sathyan Anthikad's fiftieth film as a director and it was also the debut production of TrueLine Cinema's Thankachan Emmanuel.
Vidya Lakshmi (Mamta Mohandas), scion of a rich Hindu aristocratic family marries Shanavas (Asif Ali), a Muslim, against the diktats of both the families. Though happily married, their life is difficult. Few years pass by and the couple now has a daughter Laya (Baby Anikha), who is now in nursery. Despite strong financial troubles, Shanavas does his best to support his family. One rainy night, on his way to purchase mangoes for his daughter, some goons kill Shanavas, having mistaken him for someone else. Having nowhere to go, Vidyalakshmi tries her best to take care of her daughter. But the financial troubles force her to reduce her daily expenses, including the school bus for her daughter. Within a short time, she is asked to vacate the house, as there has been a long delay in payment of rent. Vidya Lakshmi, with nowhere to go, decides to sleep on Kozhikode Railway platform with her daughter. One fine morning, she catches an auto to drop her kid at school. Preman (Jayaram), the auto driver is a talkative and simple chap, with a sense of humor. But after traveling, she gets out of the auto and escapes without paying the cash. The next day, Preman finds her at the railway station, and when the fare is demanded, she explains her story to him, which makes him feel sympathetic to her. He brings Vidyalakshmi and her daughter to his colony. Vidya Lakshmi, within a short time, captures the hearts of the people at the colony. When Preman learns she was doing her MBBS when she married and had to give up studies after that, he advises her to sit for the final year exam. With the support of the colony residents, Vidyalakshmi does the MBBS examination and becomes a doctor. Her daughter, one day comes in contact with Shanavas' mother, who now wants her granddaughter returned. But Vidyalakshmi politely refuses. The elder brother of Shanavas then threatens her with the support of Moulavi, but Preman intervenes and forces them to go back. With the help of her friend, Vidhyalakkshmi gets a job in Kuwait and though not willing, she accepts it. She leaves for Kuwait with her daughter, promising to come back soon. Preman later sees an astrologer who says he has a chance of going abroad. Later Preman is seen waiting at the beach, looking for the next news from Vidyalakshmi.
- Jayaram as Preman
- Mamta Mohandas as Vidyalakshmi
- Anikha Surendran as Laya
- Asif Ali as Shanavas Ahammed (Shanu)
- Innocent as Lasar, a lottery agent
- Amith as Shahid
- Mamukkoya as Mamachan
- K.P.A.C.Lalitha as Omana
- Chembil Ashokan as Narayanan
- Shantha Kumari as Nancy, Lazar's wife
- Lakshmi Priya as Mallika
- Sreejith Ravi as Ratheesh
- Vettukili Prakash as Venkiti
- Manu Jose
- Shruthy Menon as Deepa
- Reshmi Boban as Razia
- Manjusha Sajish as Usha
- Sreedevi Unni as Shanavas' mother
- Murali Mohan as Swaminathan, Vidyalakshmi's father
- Deepika Mohan as Vidyalakshmi's mother
- Praveen Prem as Harichandran
- Ullas as Unni
- Kalamandalam Radhika as Principal
Jayaram signed to play the main role. Anthikkad approached Vidya Balan to play the lead female role, but she could not take on the role of deadline issues.Meera Jasmine, who played a leading role in Sathyan's four back to back films came up, but finally Mamta Mohandas was signed to play the lead female role, this film became a turning point in her career.
- Second Best Actress - Mamta Mohandas
- Best Screenplay - Sathyan Anthikad
- Best Cinematographer - Venu
- Best Lead Actor - Jayaram
- Best Supporting Actress - Lakshmi Priya
- Best Character Actor - Innocent
- Most Popular Actress - Mamta Mohandas
- Best Child Artist (Female) - Baby Anikha
- Best Male Playback Singer - Hariharan
- Best Actress - Mamta Mohandas
- Best Male Playback Singer - Hariharan - "Aaro Padunnu"
|Soundtrack album by|
The soundtrack for the film was composed by veteran composer Ilaiyaraaja, with lyrics penned by Vayalar Sarath Chandra Varma.
|1.||"Aaro Paadunnu"||Hariharan, K. S. Chithra|
|2.||"Mazhamegha Chelin Puram"||Swetha Mohan, Vijay Yesudas|
- ^ "Katha Thudarum: The new Sathyan movie". IndiaGlitz.
- ^ "Katha Thudarunnu Malayalam Movie". Nowrunning.com
- ^ "Jayaram, Mamta in Kadha Thudarunnu". Rediff.com