కదిరి : کدری ) قادری )
|• Total||25.88 km2 (9.99 sq mi)|
|Elevation||504 m (1,654 ft)|
|• Density||4,800/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|• Other||Urdu Telugu|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The name Kadiri is an alternative name for the Sanskrit word, Khaadri, meaning canary wood or Indian mulberry (Morinda citrifolia). The town has derived its name from the famous legend of Sri Narasimha Swamy described below, where the Lord emerges from a Khadri tree to rescue his devotee Prahlada. Sri Krishna Devaraya made an effort in building temple for Lord Narasimha which is now being visited by people all over the country.
Kadiri is located at  It has an average elevation of 504 metres (1653 ft)..
As of 2001 India census, Kadiri had a population of 76,261. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Kadiri has an average literacy rate of 57%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 46%. In Kadiri, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age. Kadiri is one of the few towns in Andhra Pradesh with a large MUSLIM population of 55% of the town after Hindupur. Hindupur has the largest Muslim population in Anantapur district. Sri Tayi surya narayana Degree college, Sri Basireddy college are situated in Kadiri.
Government and politics
Kadiri Municipality is the urban local body of the town, which was constituted on 28 August 1964. It has a jurisdictional area of 25.88 km2 (9.99 sq mi) and is classified as a second grade municipality with 36 wards.
Kadiri railway station situated on Dharmavarm - Pakala Branch line and got into the mainline, after the 100 year age old MG line was converted into BG. It has many trains, including daily passenger trains running between Guntakal and Tirupati. A daily train runs through Kadiri connecting Hyderabad, the joint capital of Andhra Pradesh(From 2014 to 2024)-Telangana(Permanent) and Tirupati. It also has a weekly train running between Hyderabad and Madurai, Tamil Nadu.
Kadiri is on the National Highway 205, the Anantapur - Chennai road and has scores of buses to Chennai, Bengaluru, Vijayawada and Hyderabad by RTC buses and private travel agencies.
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English, Telugu.
- Groundnut Agricultural Research Centre, Kadiri (a unit of Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University)
- Sericulture Research Institute, Kutagulla village, Kadiri Mandal.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kadiri.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Kadiri.|
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Commissioner & Director of Municipal Administration. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Anantapur gets two more revenue divisions". The Hindu. Anantapur. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kadiri
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Municipal Administration & Urban Development Department. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Municipalities, Municipal Corporations & UDAs" (PDF). Directorate of Town and Country Planning. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 January 2016. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- Narasaiah, M. Lakshmi (1999-01-01). Growth And Performance Of Small Scale Industry. Discovery Publishing House. p. 51. ISBN 9788171414680.
- "School Eduvation Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2015. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education - Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.