|• Arabic||كفر دان|
|• Also spelled||Kufr Dan (official)|
|Name meaning||The village of Adhan, from personal name, meaning in Arabic “the call to prayer”|
Kafr Dan (Arabic: كفر دان) is a Palestinian village in the Jenin Governorate, located 8 km northwest of Jenin in the northern West Bank. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) census, the town had a population of 5,148 in 2007.
Kafr Qud, like the rest of Palestine, was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517, and in the census of 1596, the village appeared as "Kafradan”, located in the nahiya of Sara in the liwa of Lajjun. It had a population of 9 households, all Muslim. They paid a fixed tax rate of 25% on agricultural products, including wheat, barley, summer crops, olive trees, goats and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues; a total of 6,000 akçe.
In 1882 Kafr Dan was described as a "village of moderate size on the slope of the hills, built of stone, with olives below, and a well on the west,” in the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine. They called the village “Kefr Adan”.
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Kufr Dan had a population of 486; all Muslims, increasing in the 1931 census to 603, still all Muslim, in a total of 135 houses.
In 1945 the population was 850, all Muslims, with 7,328 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. 5 dunams were used for citrus and bananas, 2,680 for plantations and irrigable land, 3,799 for cereals, while 34 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
After the Six-Day War in 1967, Kafr Dan has been under Israeli occupation. In 2007, Marayieh Mohammed, a fighter with the Al Quds Brigades, died in the village at the hands of plain-clothed Israeli soldiers.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 147
- 2007 Locality Population Statistics Archived 2010-12-10 at the Wayback Machine.. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS). p. 105.
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 159
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, p. 161
- Guerin, 1875, p. 225, as given by Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 54
- Guerin, 1875, p. 225
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 45
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, Sub-district of Jenin, p. 30
- Mills, 1932, p. 67
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 16
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 54
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 99
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 149
- Un activista palestino muere en ataque del ejrcito israel en Cisjordania
- "l Koni: We seek to achieve roles integration between local government units and both public and private sectors". 2009. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Guérin, Victor (1875). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 2: Samarie, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, Edward; Smith, Eli (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.