|Population (2004 census)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+3)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+2)|
Kafr Hawr (Arabic: كفر حور; also spelled Kafr Hawar or Kafr Hur) is a Syrian village situated 35 kilometres (22 mi) southwest of Damascus. According to the Syria Central Bureau of Statistics, the village had a population of 2,957 in the 2004 census.
The village is built into the side of a hill near Mount Hermon, just north of modern day Hinah, which was an ancient settlement mentioned by Ptolemy as being called Ina. It sits opposite a village called Beitima across a valley through which flows the River 'Arny.
Korsei el-Debb Roman temple
There is a Roman temple in the area called Korsei el-Debb that is one of a group of Temples of Mount Hermon. Félicien de Saulcy suggested the temple was originally constructed entirely of white marble. A marble block was found featuring a dedication to a goddess called Hierapolis (also identified as Atargatis and Leukothea).
- General Census of Population and Housing 2004. Syria Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS). Rif Dimashq Governorate. (in Arabic)
- Great Britain. Naval Intelligence Division (1920). A handbook of Syria: including Palestine. H.M. Stationery Office. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- May M. Hourani; Charles M. Heyda; United States Board on Geographic Names; United States Defense Mapping Agency (1983). Gazetteer of Syria: names approved by the United States Board on Geographic Names. Defense Mapping Agency. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Sir George Adam Smith; John George Bartholomew (1915). Atlas of the Historical Geography of the Holy Land. Hodder & Stoughton. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Palestine Exploration Fund (1920). Quarterly statement - Palestine Exploration Fund. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Ted Kaizer (2008). The Variety of Local Religious Life in the Near East In the Hellenistic and Roman Periods. BRILL. pp. 76–. ISBN 978-90-04-16735-3. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- A. Chaniotis; T. Corsten; R. S. Stroud; R. A. Tybout (30 August 2006). Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum. Brill Academic Pub. ISBN 978-90-04-15508-4. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Götz Schmitt (1995). Siedlungen Palästinas in griechisch-römischer Zeit. Dr. Ludwig Reichert Verlag. ISBN 978-3-88226-820-1. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Photo of Kafr Hawr on panoramio.com
- Kafr Hawr on geographic.org
- Kafr Hawr on gomapper.com
- كـفـر-حـور on wikimapia.org
|This article about a location in Rif Dimashq Governorate, Syria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|