|District||Mount Simeon District|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Kafr Saghir (Arabic: كفر صغير, Kurdish: Kefêr Sixîrê, also written Kafr as Saghir, Kafr Şaghīr, Kafr as Safir or literally Little Kafr) is a village in northern Syria, administratively part of the Mount Simeon District of the Aleppo Governorate, just northwest of Aleppo. Nearby localities include Ratyan, Bayanoun and Mayer to the north, Anadan, Huraytan to the west, Kafr Hamrah to the south and Shaykh Najjar to the east.
Syrian civil war
On 20 March 2016, ISIL killed more than 20 Kurdish and Arab civilians in the eastern Aleppo town of Kafr Saghir. By 22 March, however, the Syrian Army managed to repel the ISIL offensive and regain control over the villages.
After ISIL was driven from Kafr Saghir by the Syrian Armed Forces and the Syrian Democratic Forces, a new, local militia named the "Kafr Saghir Martyrs Brigade" was formed by the two to protect the area. This unit later joined the Syrian National Resistance.
- "Syrian Arab Republic - Population Statistics". Humanitarian Data Exchange. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "Kafr Şaghīr (populated place)". geoview.info. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Paraszczuk, Joanna; Lucas, Scott. "Syria, August 17: Assessing the Regime's Deadly Airstrikes". EA WorldView. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- van Wilgenburg, Wladimir (15 August 2013). "Areas Under 'Threat' by ISIS/FSA Operationsin Aleppo Countryside". blogspot. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Syrian troops advance in and around the country's largest city of Aleppo". US News & World Report. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Leith Fadel (20 March 2016). "ISIS massacres over 20 civilians in east Aleppo: activists". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- Chris Tomson (22 March 2016). "Car explosion in Qamishli city amid ISIS retreat from Hasakah province". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (29 November 2016). "Syrian Army captures first village from Turkish-backed rebels on the outskirts of al-Bab". Al-Masdar News. Al Masdar News. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
|This article about a location in Aleppo Governorate, Syria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|