|IATA: KOJ – ICAO: RJFK|
|Operator||Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (airfield)
Kagoshima Airport Building Co., Ltd. (terminal)
|Hub for||Japan Air Commuter|
|Elevation AMSL||892 ft / 272 m|
Kagoshima Airport (鹿児島空港 Kagoshima Kūkō?) (IATA: KOJ, ICAO: RJFK) is an airport located in Kirishima, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan, 29.6 km (18.4 mi) northeast of Kagoshima-Chūō Station in Kagoshima City. It is the second-busiest airport in Kyushu after Fukuoka Airport.
The airport opened in 1972, replacing a former Imperial Japanese Navy airfield in the Kamoike area near the city center, which had served as the city's main airport since 1957. The site of the former airport was re-developed as a "new town" with office buildings and high-density housing projects, and is now the site of the Kagoshima Prefecture government office, among other buildings.
The airport's runway had an initial length of 2,500 m, which was extended to 3,000 m in 1980. An international terminal opened in 1982 and a cargo terminal opened in 1987.
Air Niugini, Cathay Pacific Airways, China Airlines and Nauru Airlines provided international service to Kagoshima from the 1970s to the 1980s, and JAL operated a route to Singapore via Hong Kong and Bangkok during the 1980s. Kagoshima served as the destination of the final scheduled NAMC YS-11 flight in 2006.
Airlines and destinations
|All Nippon Airways||Osaka-Itami, Tokyo-Haneda||Domestic|
|All Nippon Airways
operated by ANA Wings
|China Eastern Airlines||Shanghai-Pudong||International|
|Fuji Dream Airlines||Shizuoka||Domestic|
|Hong Kong Airlines||Hong Kong||International|
|HK Express||Hong Kong||International|
|Japan Airlines||Osaka-Itami, Tokyo-Haneda||Domestic|
operated by J-Air
operated by Japan Air Commuter
|Amami Ōshima, Fukuoka, Kikai, Matsuyama, Okayama, Okinoerabu, Osaka-Itami, Tanegashima, Tokunoshima, Yakushima, Yoron||Domestic|
operated by Japan Transocean Air
|Jetstar Japan||Nagoya-Centrair, Tokyo-Narita||Domestic|
|Skymark Airlines||Kobe, Tokyo-Haneda||Domestic|
- AIS Japan
- "Kagoshima Airport Statistics" (PDF) (Press release). Osaka Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Civil Aviation Bureau. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "会社概要". Japan Air Commuter. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- "鹿児島空港". Osaka Civil Aviation Bureau. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "昭和39年 空撮タイムマシン 鴨池空港（鹿児島市）". Yomiuri Shimbun. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "History of Kagoshima Airport" (PDF). Sora Stage. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "Domestic Terminal". Kagoshima Airport. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "International Terminal". Kagoshima Airport. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "HK Express Adds 3 New Routes to Japan in S16". airlineroute. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- Airport website
- Current weather for RJFK at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for KOJ at Aviation Safety Network
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kagoshima Airport.|