The Kahoot app running on an iPad
|Available in||Main language (English), optional languages (French, Spanish, etc.)|
|Registration||None for quiz participation; required for quiz creation|
|Users||50 million monthly active users (as of May 2017)|
Kahoot! is a game-based learning platform, used as educational technology in schools and other educational institutions. The company was launched in August 2013 in Norway. Its learning games, "kahoots", are multiple-choice quizzes that allow user generation and can be accessed via web browser.
Kahoot was designed for social learning, with learners gathered around a common screen such as an interactive whiteboard, projector or a computer monitor. The site can also be used through screen-sharing tools such as Skype or Google Hangouts. The game design is such that the players are required to frequently look up from their devices.
In May 2017, YouTube channel GTLive played a game on their live stream with over 10,000 players.
Kahoot was launched in private beta at the third annual SXSWedu in March 2013.
According to research by two students at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, the network latency in accessing the website greatly influences the quality of experience of the platform, in both longitudinal and cross-section studies, with a sample size N=21. It was found that about 70% of the sample size regard Kahoot! as having positive results on all delay levels, while a varying number of students (between 10-20%) report that the platform is too time-consuming, forming a direct relationship with the duration of delay.
- "Norwegian edtech company Kahoot! reaches 1 billion players". Tech.eu. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- Kamps, Haje Jan. "Gaming/learning platform Kahoot! hits 1B players | TechCrunch". Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Kahoot! as Formative Assessment - Center for Instructional Technology". Center for Instructional Technology. 2015-07-02. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Why Kahoot is one of my favourite classroom tools — Tomorrow's Learners". Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Kahoot Trivia". www.acpl.lib.in.us. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Skype in the Classroom & Kahoot - Microsoft in Education". education.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Can I play Kahoot! with others remotely?". Kahoot! Support. Retrieved 2018-06-07.
- www.corepublish.no, CorePublish -. "Kahoot! - Inclusive Design". www.inclusivedesign.no. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Is my browser/device suitable to host or play a Kahoot? – Kahoot! Support". kahoot.uservoice.com. Retrieved 2017-08-09.
- "Homework Game Changer Kahoot! Launches Mobile App -- THE Journal". THE Journal. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "Kahoot launches mobile app to make homework fun | GamesBeat". venturebeat.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- GTLive (2017-05-10), These Questions Are IMPOSSIBLE! (Kahoot!), retrieved 2018-02-04
- Chowdhry, Amit. "How Kahoot! Quickly Hit One Billion Players While Helping Advance Education". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "Kahoot! | crunchbase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- Underdal, Anlaug Gårdsrud; Sunde, Marthe Thorine (5 September 2014). Investigating QoE in a Cloud-Based Classroom Response System (Thesis). Retrieved 25 October 2017.