||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
|— Bodybuilder —|
Greene at the 2009 IFBB Australia competition
July 12, 1975 |
Brooklyn, New York, USA
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||260–275 lbs (on-season)
300–310 lbs (offseason)
|Pro-debut||IFBB New York Pro, 2005|
|Best win||Arnold Classic, 2009-2010|
Kai L. Greene (born July 12, 1975) is an American IFBB professional bodybuilder. His most recent victory was the Prague Pro in 2013. He was the first runner up (2nd Place) at the 2012, 2013 and 2014 Mr. Olympia competition.
Greene was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. From the age of six, he was raised in foster care and residential treatment center placements. According to his online biography, his rapid physical growth and development drew the attention of his seventh grade English teacher, and since his behavior in school was troublesome, he was introduced to the idea of teenage competition. He soon became an enthusiastic bodybuilder, competing in the National Physique Committee (NPC) and aiming to move into the IFBB. He perceives his success in the NPC as mixed. Although he won the 1999 NPC Team Universe, he was disappointed and took a five-year break from competitions, before re-emerging in the 2004 NPC Team Universe contest, which he won again. This victory qualified him for a career as an IFBB professional bodybuilder.
New York Pro & Mr. Olympia
In 2011, Greene began working with preparation coach George Farah and placed first in the 2011 New York Pro Championship. Greene's third place win at Mr. Olympia in 2011 qualified him for the 2012 contest in Las Vegas, so he did not compete at the 2012 New York Pro in order to focus on Mr. Olympia. On September 29, 2012, he placed 2nd in the 2012 Mr. Olympia competition. On September 28, 2013, he again placed 2nd in the 2013 Mr. Olympia and again on September 20, 2014 for the 2014 Mr. Olympia competition in Las Vegas.
In 2009, Greene worked with director Mike Pulcinella to release Overkill which documented his preparation for his first appearance at the 2009 Olympia. In 2010, he teamed up with Mike Pulcinella again to film the sequel Redemption that showcased his training and philosophies for the 2010 Arnold Classic in which he won for the second year in a row. He features in the 2013 film Generation Iron, detailing the lead up and events of the 2012 Mr. Olympia competition.
Sponsors and endorsements
Greene is sponsored by Flex and MuscleMeds.
- 1994 NGA American Nationals
- 1996 WNBF Pro Natural Worlds – 1st
- 1997 NPC Team Universe Championships - 2nd
- 1998 NPC Team Universe Championships - 3rd
- 1999 World Amateur Championships - 6th
- 1999 NPC Team Universe Championships - 1st
- 2005 New York Pro – 14th
- 2006 Iron Man Pro - T20th
- 2006 Shawn Ray Colorado Pro/Am Classic – 14th
- 2007 New York Pro – 6th
- 2007 Keystone Pro Classic - 3rd
- 2007 Shawn Ray Colorado Pro/Am Classic – 1st
- 2008 New York Pro – 1st
- 2008 Arnold Classic – 3rd
- 2009 Australian Pro Grand Prix – 1st
- 2009 Arnold Classic – 1st
- 2009 Mr. Olympia – 4th
- 2010 Arnold Classic – 1st
- 2010 Australian Pro Grand Prix – 1st
- 2010 Mr. Olympia – 7th
- 2011 New York Pro – 1st
- 2011 Mr. Olympia – 3rd
- 2011 Sheru Classic – 3rd
- 2012 Mr. Olympia – 2nd
- 2012 Sheru Classic – 2nd
- 2013 Mr. Olympia – 2nd
- 2013 Arnold Classic Europe – 2nd
- 2013 EVL's Prague Pro – 1st
- 2014 Mr. Olympia – 2nd
- "Iron Man Magazine | www.ironmanmagazine.com". Contests.ironmanmagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-10-18.