Kai Kodukkum Kai
|Kai Kodukkum Kai|
Kai Kodukkum Kai (transl. Helping Hand) is a 1984 Indian Tamil language film directed by Mahendran starring Rajinikanth and Revathy. It was an extended version of Munithayi written by Eeswarachandra – the third segment of the 1976 Kannada anthology film Katha Sangama. Rajnikanth, who played the antagonist role in Munithayi , played the lead role in this film. The film was produced by Vijayakumar and R. Vijayachandran.
Kaalimuthu marries Seetha, the girl he loves after much denial from his elder brother. Seetha is blind and is raped a man Pannaiyar who has a weakness for women and addiction to sex. Pannaiyar even though married lusts after looking at Seetha and rapes her in the absence of Kaalimuthu, her husband. The climax is interesting twist as to what happens when Kaalimuthu decides to forgive Pannaiyar for his crime.
- Rajinikanth as Kaalimuthu
- Revathi as Seetha
- Rajalakshmi as Mangamma
- Ranganath as Periyapannai (Voice over by – Shanmugasundaram)
- V. S. Raghavan as Kaalimuthu's brother
- Sowcar Janaki as Kaalimuthu's sister-in-law
- Y. G. Mahendra
- Poornam Vishwanathan
- Thengai Srinivasan
- Chinni Jayanth
Actor Vijayakumar decided to produce a film with Rajinikanth as the lead actor. Rajinikanth suggested Mahendran be the director. The film was an extended version of Munithayi, the third segment of the 1975 Kannada anthology film Katha Sangama by Puttanna Kanagal. Rajinikanth who played the antagonist role in the original played the hero in the remake. Mahendran wrote the screenplay with slight changes in the script. Mahendran's routine crew Ilaiyaraaja, Ashok Kumar and the editing duo B. Lenin – V. T. Vijayan were recruited for the film. In a later interview with Maalai Malar, Vijayakumar mentioned that he was not satisfied with the climax of the film, as he felt the fans would not accept Rajinikanth's lead pair getting raped. However, Mahendran was reluctant to change the climax that the original film had. A duet sequence had to be included in the film due to pressure from others.
Release and reception
|1||"Aaththa Peththaale"||Malaysia Vasudevan||Vaali||04:28|
|2||"Kannukkulle Yaaro"||S. P. Sailaja, P. Susheela||Na. Kamarasan||04:20|
|3||"Thaazham Poove Vaasam"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Pulamaipithan||04:13|
|4||"Paattha Padichapulle"||S. Janaki, Saibaba||Gangai Amaran||04:08|
- "கன்னடத்தில் இருந்து தமிழுக்கு வந்த கை கொடுக்கும் கை". Maalai Malar (in Tamil). 29 November 2007. Archived from the original on 30 October 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "கை கொடுக்கும் கை பட கிளைமாக்ஸ்". Maalai Malar (in Tamil). 10 June 2007. Archived from the original on 22 August 2019. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "He could have missed out on his favourite film". The New Indian Express. 12 December 2012. Archived from the original on 12 June 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- Rangan, Baradwaj (2 April 2019). "Tribute: J Mahendran, Who Began His Directing Career With The Rajinikanth-starring 'Mullum Malarum'". Film Companion. Archived from the original on 22 August 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Kai Kodukkum Kai (1984)". Music India Online. Archived from the original on 22 August 2019. Retrieved 22 August 2019.