October 8, 1963|
Briarcliff Manor, New York
Stephanie Fossan (m. 1997)
|Children||3 sons, 1 daughter|
|United States Navy|
|Years of service||1985-1993|
Kai Ryssdal (/
Marketplace is produced and distributed by American Public Media. Ryssdal took over in August 2005, replacing David Brown. Before hosting Marketplace, he was host of the Marketplace Morning Report, a seven-minute business roundup, as well as the weekend program Marketplace Money.
Ryssdal is from Briarcliff Manor, New York. His surname is Norwegian, as his father was born in Norway. He spent much of his childhood in England and Denmark. He graduated from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia in 1985, and then spent eight years in the U.S. Navy, first flying a Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye from the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, and later as a Pentagon staff officer. Ryssdal received his MA in National Security Studies from Georgetown University in 1993, and joined the U.S. Foreign Service, serving in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and Beijing, China.
Before joining Marketplace, Ryssdal was a reporter and substitute host for The California Report, a news and information program distributed to public radio stations throughout California by KQED-FM in San Francisco.
- Boyd, E.B. (January 28, 2009). "SO WHAT DO YOU DO, KAI RYSSDAL, MARKETPLACE HOST/SENIOR EDITOR?". Mediabistro. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Kai Ryssdal - Host of Marketplace (Biography)". Marketplace.org. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Galehouse, Maggie (September 12, 2014). "Let's do the numbers! Marketplace and Kai Ryssdal head to Houston". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- Ball, Sarah. "Thirteen Things You Didn't Know About Marketplace Host Kai Ryssdal". The Hive. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "On the Red Couch with Marketplace Host Kai Ryssdal". Flipboard. April 18, 2013. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- "'Dream Job' Profile of Kai Ryssdall - Emory Magazine". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
| Host of Marketplace