Kaiane Aldorino Lopez
|16th Mayor of Gibraltar|
|Assumed office |
5 April 2017
|Preceded by||Adolfo Canepa|
Kaiane Loise Aldorino
8 July 1986
Aron Lopez (m. 2015)
Kaiane Loise Aldorino Lopez, GMH (née Aldorino; born 8 July 1986) is a Gibraltarian politician and beauty queen. Since 2017, she has held the ceremonial position of Mayor of Gibraltar, after previously serving as Deputy Mayor since 2014.
Aldorino previously was a beauty pageant titleholder, being crowned Miss Gibraltar 2009, and later winning Miss World 2009 in Johannesburg, South Africa. She was the first Gibraltarian woman ever to reach the semifinals of a major international pageant, and is the only to ever win one, as well.
Early and personal life
Aldorino was born and raised in Gibraltar. Prior to becoming Miss Gibraltar 2009, she had been working as a human resources clerk at St Bernard's Hospital for five years. Aldorino was raised bilingually, speaking both English and Spanish, like most Gibraltarians.
Aldorino began dancing at the age of 14, with Urban Dance Group. She participated at the 2008 International Dance Organization World Showdance Championships, in Riesa, Germany, where she represented Gibraltar in the Formation category as part of the Gibraltar National Dance Team. They placed 17th, and made history by being the first Gibraltarian formation team to pass the first round.
Miss World 2009, Kaiane Aldorino at the Shanghai Expo, 10 August 2010
Kaiane Loise Aldorino
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Title||Miss Gibraltar 2009|
Miss World 2009
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss Gibraltar 2009|
Miss World 2009
(Continental Queen of Europe)
(Miss World Beach Beauty)
Miss Gibraltar 2009
Miss World 2009
Aldorino made history on 12 December 2009, by becoming the first ever Miss Gibraltar to be crowned Miss World. She was also the first Gibraltarian contestant to have reached the semifinals of one of the major international pageants after receiving the title of Miss World Beach Beauty.
Shortly after Aldorino was crowned by her predecessor, Ksenia Sukhinova of Russia, Gibraltar burst into celebration as many Gibraltarians took to the streets. Supporters waved the flag of Gibraltar, chanted as cars honked their horns, and fireworks were set off. Chief Minister of Gibraltar Peter Caruana hailed her win as a "wonderful achievement for her and for Gibraltar" and promised a "homecoming fit for a queen". In 2010, she was guest judge in the final Mister World 2010 beauty pageant in Incheon, South Korea.
During her reign, Lopez traveled to over 40 countries. Some of these countries include: United Kingdom, Gibraltar, Japan, Brunei, Hong Kong, Canada, United States, Spain, Germany, Korea, Italy, Indonesia, South Africa, Ireland, and China.
On 15 December 2009, HM Government of Gibraltar announced Aldorino would be flown into Gibraltar from London on a private jet the following afternoon. On 16 December 2009, the government issued a press release in which it detailed the events that would take place upon Aldorino's arrival. These included a public greeting at Gibraltar Airport, a parade through Main Street where Aldorino would ride in the same convertible car as Diana, Princess of Wales and Prince Charles during their honeymoon visit to Gibraltar. On 17 December 2009, Aldorino paraded down Main Street preceded by the band of the Royal Gibraltar Regiment, and then appeared at the City Hall balcony. This was followed by a press conference and reception at the Rock Hotel. The celebrations culminated with a fireworks display from Gibraltar Harbour. The Government also requested all businesses in Gibraltar who were reasonably able to do so to close between 4pm and 6pm on this day to allow their staff to take part in the welcoming celebrations.
Mayor of Gibraltar
On 5 April 2017, she became the mayor of the country.
On 7 July 2011, Aldorino was the awarded with both the Freedom of the City of Gibraltar and the Gibraltar Medallion of Honour by a unanimous vote in the Gibraltar Parliament. The motion which was tabled by Chief Minister of Gibraltar Peter Caruana recognised her:
|“||extraordinary personal achievement in becoming Miss World 2009 and … the enormous pride and global recognition that her achievement has represented for Gibraltar as a whole.||”|
- "Film # 008072651 Image Film # 008072651; ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNH-6SFL-R — FamilySearch.org". Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- "Gibraltar News". GibLive!. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- "Breaking news: Miss Gibraltar wins Miss World! Chief Minister promises 'Royal' welcome for Kaiane". Gibraltar Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2009-12-18. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Kaiane takes Gibraltar into the first ever Miss World final". Gibraltar Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2012-12-22. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Kaiane Aldorino is crowned Miss Gibraltar 2009". Gibraltar Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- Miss World Profile Archived December 17, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "Rocky claim to fame for Britain as Kaiane Aldorino from Gibraltar wins Miss World". Times Online. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- 7 Days - Gibraltar in four finals at the World Showdance Championships Archived July 23, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Kaiane Aldorino, Miss World 2009, gets married". The Great Pageant Community. 24 June 2015.
- "Kaiane takes Gibraltar into first eve Miss World Final". Gibraltar Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2012-12-22. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Gibraltar Chronicle - Gibraltar shouts WOW! with joy as Kaiane grabs Miss World title". Chronicle.gi. Archived from the original on 2012-08-12. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Our Miss World comes home to Rock welcome this Thursday". Gibraltar Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2012-02-27. Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "Government of Gibraltar Press Release - Miss World 2009, Kaiane Aldorino (Miss Gibraltar) Welcome Home Celebration" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-11-27.[dead link]
- "Government of Gibraltar Press Release - Miss World Homecoming" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-11-27.[dead link]
- Panorama - Kaiane Aldorino Retrieved 10 October 2015
- "Kaiane Receives Rock's Top Accolades For Miss World Triumph". Gibraltar Chronicle. 8 July 2011. Archived from the original on 9 July 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kaiane Aldorino.|
|Awards and achievements|
| Mayor of Gibraltar
| Miss World
| Miss World Europe
Emma Britt Waldron
| Miss World Beach Beauty
| Miss Gibraltar