This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
January 11, 1976|
Kaire Vilgats was born and spent her childhood in Pärnu, a resort town in the south-west of Estonia, where she also went to school. She learnt the accordion in a music school before taking classes in singing.
In 1999, Vilgats was awarded third place in the Kaks takti ette contest for young singers, organized by Estonian Television. The winner of that season was an Estonian rock star, Tanel Padar, with Eda-Ines Etti in second position. The same year, she was cast in the company of the Estonian production of the musical La Cage aux Folles which was her theatre début. A series of supporting roles in musicals were to follow.
In 2006, she was nominated for an Estonian theatre prize for the supporting role of Amps in the musical Romeo ja Julia but did not win.
- 2000: Tanz der Vampire (Magda)
- 2000: Little Shop of Horrors (Crystal)
- 2000: Zorba (Storyteller)
- 2001: Les Misérables (Mme Thenardier, understudy)
- 2002: Miss Saigon (Gigi)
- 2003: Fiddler on the Roof (Golde)
- 2004: Crazy for You (Irene Roth)
- 2006: Fame (Esther Sherman)
- 2006: Romeo & Julia (Amps)
- 2006: Lumekuninganna (Snow Queen) (Grandmother/Snow Queen)
- 2007: Phantom (Carlotta)
- 2008: Anything Goes (Reno Sweeney)
- 2008: Buratino senitundmatud seiklused ("Buratino`s Yet Unknown Adventures") (Malviina)
- 2011: The Warewolf (Grandmother)
- 2011: The Beauty and the Beast (Teapot)
- 2011: Karlsson on the Roof (Hildur Sokk), drama
- 2012: Seljatas sada meest ("Fought a Hundred Men") (Maria Loorberg), drama
- 2013: Shrek (Dragon)
- 2014: Koerhaldjas Mia (Dog-Fairy Mia) (Christmas Mom)
- 2015: Billy Elliiot (Mrs Wilkinson)
- 2015: Karlsson on the Roof, the musical, (Hildur Sokk)
- 2016: Mamma Mia (Rosie)
- 2017: Les Misérables (Mme Thenardier)
With five appearances, she is holding the record of biggest number of participations in the Eurovision Song Contest for Estonia. In 2000 and 2002, she sang backing vocals for the Estonian and Maltese songs, and did the same for Estonia at 2014, 2016 and 2017 contests.
Vilgats provided her vocals for the album Family. We are Family, released in 2003 as a cooperative effort of several popular vocalists, such as Nele-Liis Vaiksoo and Lauri Pihlap. She has also performed with the Estonian Police Orchestra and a number of other orchestras and groups.
Kaire Vilgats has been open about her weight problems and has therefore given patronage to sporting events, like Tartu Maraton in which she successfully participates. She has co-hosted and participated in TV-shows, Your Face Sounds Familiar among many.
Vilgats is a mother of three children, two sons and a daughter. She is divorced from a music producer Johannes Lõhmus.