Kait Kerrigan is a playwright and a lyricist and composer of musicals. Originally from Kingston, Pennsylvania, she graduated from Wyoming Valley West Senior High School in Plymouth, Pennsylvania in 1999. Kait is a 2003 graduate of Barnard College with a degree in English Literature. She is the 2009 winner of the Edward Kleban Award as the most promising musical book writer in America.
She is a member of the BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theater Workshop.
Kerrigan is most well known for her collaborations with Brian Lowdermilk. Their works together include shows such as The Woman Upstairs, The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown (with Zach Altman) and Wrong Number. She and Lowdermilk also collaborated on TheaterworksUSA's adaptation of Henry and Mudge, which premiered Off-Broadway in 2006 at the Lucille Lortel Theatre. They also worked on the project, 'Republic, an adaptation of William Shakespeare's Henry IV, set in Northern Ireland in the 1970s.
In 2011, Kerrigan and Lowdermilk released their first CD, "Our First Mistake". The CD was a result of fan support through a campaign on Kickstarter. To celebrate both the CD and their fans, Kerrigan-Lowdermilk launched a series of New York City concerts under the name You Made This Tour. A selection of recordings from these concerts was bundled for their follow-up album, "Kerrigan-Lowdermilk Live".
Kait Kerrigan is working with Brian Lowdermilk on their newest work, The Mad Ones which will open off-Broadway in November 2017 and The Bad Years, an immersive house party musical set for an open-ended commercial production in New York City beginning in 2018.
The pair made their London debut at the St James Theatre in February 2014 in a concert series produced by United Theatrical - a London-based theatrical production company run by Stuart Matthew Price and James Yeoburn. The featured singers included West End performers Rachel Tucker, Julie Atherton, Daniel Boys, Chloe Hart, Jodie Jacobs, Lauren Samuels and Anton Zetterholm.
Her work has been developed by Goodspeed Musicals, Theatreworks / Silicon Valley, the York, Page 73, Chautauqua Theatre Company, Primary Stages, Arden, and the Lark. She has won the Kleban, Jonathan Larson, Dramatists Guild Fellowship, and the Theatre Hall of Fame Most Promising Lyricist Fellowship. Alumna of Barnard College and the BMI Musical Theatre Writing Workshop, co-founder of the start-up NewMusicalTheatre.com, and member of the Dramatists Guild and ASCAP.
- Henry and Mudge (with Brian Lowdermilk)
- Her Old Possessions
- Tender Wars in the Green-Gold Room
- Imaginary Love
- The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown (music and lyrics by Brian Lowdermilk; book and lyrics by Kait Kerrigan; additional book and concept by Zach Altman)
- Tales from the Bad Years (with Brian Lowdermilk)
- The Woman Upstairs (with Brian Lowdermilk)
- Wrong Number (with Brian Lowdermilk)
- Republic (with Brian Lowdermilk)
- Unbound (with Brian Lowdermilk)
- Flash of Time (with Brian Lowdermilk)
- "Spare Times: For Children". The New York Times. 2007-01-05. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- "Kait Kerrigan-Brian Lowdermilk to Make U.K. Debut at London's St. James Studio; Guests to Include Rachel Tucker". 2014-01-24. Archived from the original on 2014-02-22.
- Spaner, Whitney (May 1, 2016). "How Married Lyricists Juggle a Newborn, an Opening and Composer Counterparts". Playbill. Retrieved January 1, 2018.