|Years active||since 1996|
|Labels||B92/Asphalt Tango Records|
|Members||Dragan Ristić, Dejan Jovanovic, Milorad Jevremović, Ivan Kuzev, Miloš Veličković|
|Past members||Branko Isaković, Aleksandar Andrić|
Kal (meaning "black" in Romani) is a world music Romani band from Serbia (originally from Valjevo, now based in Belgrade). They attracted Serbian and worldwide public interest with their eponymous debut album, released in 2006, presenting a blend of traditional Balkan Roma music with influences of Tango, Middle Eastern, Turkish and even Jamaican influences.
Kal was formed in 1996, and they participated in several compilation album with other Roma, Serbian and world music performers. Their first national TV appearance was in a B92 show Timofejev in New Year's Eve 2006 , where they presented their unique style.
During 2006, Kal toured over a hundred concerts worldwide, including most of the European countries and United States. They participated in Sziget Festivals (in 2001, 2002 and 2004), La notte di San Lorenzo in Milano, and 11th European biennale of young artists in Athens, EXIT in Novi Sad in 2004 and 2005, and featured in 2006 World Music Expo, WOMEX. In April 2006, the album reached the first position of World Music Charts Europe and ended up 3rd in the annual list.
The band, particularly the frontman Dragan Ristić, are also politically and socially engaged, fighting the prejudices and Anti-Roma sentiment. Dragan and his brother Dušan founded the Amala Summer School in Serbia, a workshop of Romani language, history, culture heritage, and political power.
- Dragan Ristić – Vocals, Guitar,
- Milorad Šalajko Jevremovć – Vocals, Violin
- Dejan Jovanović – Accordion
- Ivan Kuzev – Bass Guitar
- Miloš Veličković - Drums
- Violeta & Kal: Budva '97 (1997, Komuna Belgrade)
- Balkan Ambience (1998, Marko's music, Bulgaria)
- World Rhythms (1998, United One Records, Germany)
- A zenne unnepe (2000, France Cultural Institute)
- Romano Suno (2003, B92 Records)
- Serbia Sounds Global 3 (2003, B92 Records)
- Kal (2006) (B92 /reissued internationally Asphalt Tango)
- Radio Romanista (2009) (B92 / Asphalt Tango)
- Romology (2013) ARC music (UK)City Records,Multimedia records Serbia),Lou rocked boys (Poland)
- Peter Playdon (2004-04-27). "Possibly the best band in the world?". BBC.
- Silja J.A. Talvi (2006-06-15). "Kal (Black) Like Me". In These Times.
- "Koncert grupe Kal" (in Serbian). B92. 2007-01-26.
- Official website (in English)
- Kal at Amala Summer School web site
- Kal on Asphalt Tango, the international record label
|This Serbia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a European band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|