Kalabhavan Mani in 2011
|Born||Kunnisseri Veettil Raman Mani
1 January 1971
Chalakudy, Kerala, India
|Died||6 March 2016
Kochi, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Film actor, Playback Singer, Music Director|
|Children||Sree Lakshmi Mani|
|Parent(s)||Chenathunad Kunnisseri Veettil Raman (1925–2001)
Ammini Raman (1932–2012)
Kunnisseri Veettil Raman Mani (1 January 1971 – 6 March 2016), better known by his stage name Kalabhavan Mani, was a South Indian film actor and singer. Mani started his career as a mimicry artist with the Kalabhavan troupe. He has starred in over 200 films, including Malayalam, Tamil, and Telugu films, and is renowned for his humourous character and, and villain roles. He received the National Film Award – Special Jury Award and Kerala State Film Award for his performance as Ramu in Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njaanum (1999).
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Charity
- 4 Death
- 5 Controversies
- 6 Awards and honours
- 7 Filmography
- 8 Television
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Kalabhavan Mani was born as the sixth among seven children to Chenathunad Kunnisseri Veettil Raman and Ammini in Chalakudy Thrissur District, Kerala State on New Year's Day in 1971. He had an elder brother, Velayudan (deceased), younger brother, RLV Ramakrishnan (dancer) and four sisters, Thankamani, Leela, Santha and Ammini, Jr. He studied at Glps East school Chalakudy till fourth grade and Government Boys School, Chalakudy till tenth grade.
Mani was married to Nimmy on 22 September 1999 and has a daughter. He was once an autorickshaw driver from Chalakudy. His brother, R.L.V. Ramakrishnan acted in Bamboo Boys in a cameo role, starring alongside Cochin Haneefa, his brother, Harishree Ashokan and Salim Kumar.
He started his career as a mimicry artist with the drama group Cochin Kalabhavan. He started his acting career in the Malayalam film Aksharam as an auto rickshaw driver. He has acted in more than 200 films in Malayalam. He started his career as a mimicry artist in Kalabhavan, Kochi. He started his acting career in the Malayalam film Aksharam as an auto driver. Since then, he has acted in several movies as a comedian. His first leading role was in the film Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njaanum. His first music album was (Thushima Guntharo)Kannimanga Prayathil. He has since established a parallel industry of folk songs (nadan pattu) selling a record number of releases. He has also released a few religious songs and Mappila Pattukal. Mani's started his career portraying comedic roles in Malayalam films which later shifted to character and villain roles. He then turned out to be playing hero characters in movies like Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njanum, Karumadikuttan, Ben Johnson, Ayirathil Oruvan, Valkannadi, Lokanathan IAS, Kerala Police, Red Salute etc. Eventually he portrayed negative characters. Mani is well known for his down-to-earth behavior and providing various humanitarian aids to people in need. Mani was approached and was offered a seat in the 2016 Kerala Legislative Assembly election by LDF. He had openly told that he was a Leftist and used to Campaign for CPI(M) and left parties during elections.
Mani has provided generosity and charity work to people living in poverty. Reportedly, on an average day, around 20 people from less privileged backgrounds used to come to visit him at his residence. He then wholeheartedly donated money, repaid debts and offered to help them. He therefore often referred to as the title of "poor man's superstar" in Kerala. As a fund-raiser and performer, he also had contributed money to the local festivals of the religious organisations and provided funds to the schools in his village. He adopted two Adivasi Colonies in Athirappilly area and fed them. He used to take Adivasi kids to Tour and used to spend time with them.
Kalabhavan Mani died on 6 March 2016, aged 45. At the first stage, he was admitted at Amrita Hospital, Kochi. It was revealed that the actor was going through spontaneous combustion for a period of time. The police registered a case as unnatural death due to the presence of excessive methyl alcohol (a toxic chemical found in illicitly distilled liquor, Arrack) with acetaminophen in Kalabhavan Mani's body.
On 8 March 2016, based on the initial autopsy report and statements of witnesses, the police said that serious liver illness along with alcohol consumption may have caused his death and it might have been a suicide attempt. Four months prior to his death, doctors had categorically warned him against drinking alcohol and was counselled for severe depression. However, Mani in his phase of depression and informed severe liver damage conditions, ignored the doctors' warnings and continued with alcoholism. Even on the day before he died, he was allegedly reported consuming alcohol (Beer) with friends in the outhouse of his house.
His unexpected death led to a case by his friends and family which has been filed for investigation through Kochi City Police. On 18 March 2016, based on the forensic test from the Regional Chemical Examiner’s Laboratory, death cause was identified with high probability a highly poisonous chemical, Chlorpyrifos—usually used in insecticides, which is banned in many countries for residential use, it is considered as a hazardous substance for general ecology. Presence of chlorpyrifos along with methyl and ethyl alcohol contents were found excessively in the test samples. The report suggests that Mani might have consumed the poison knowingly or unknowingly over the days before his death. Therefore, the Government of Kerala has ordered a comprehensive probe in the death of Mani. The police is rounding the case through whom Mani could have accessed this poisonous concoction for substance abuse. Under RLV Ramakrishnan's suspicion Mani's three close friends have been taken into custody for questioning to rule out activities of vested interest.  On 11 June 2016, based on the recommendation of the state DGP, the Government of Kerala has decided the case to be investigated by CBI. 
His sudden demise led to emotional reactions from his fans and many of his co-stars in the Malayalam Film Industry along with the rest of the South Indian Film Industry. The Mollywood film fraternity and thousands of fans of late actor Kalabhavan Mani paid homage to the versatile artiste during a memorial service on 13 March 2016, at Carmel Higher Secondary School in Chalakudy organized by Well-wishers. Tributes were celebrated through the media with 2–3 hours programme special.
In an interview with journalist John Britas, Mani stated that the State Government Award could easily have been bought off.
On 14 May 2013, Mani has been accused of assaulting two forest officials during a routine inspection at Athirappilly. However, those who had claimed to be travelling with Mani in the same car, had filed a complaint against the forest officials for abusing them. The police have registered cases against both Mani and the injured forest officials  Later, Mani was arrested and charged when he surrendered to the police. He was granted bail by the High Court of Kerala with conditions on it. Mani and his friends had been on a trip to the tourist place when forest officials intervened and said they wanted to search his vehicle. It had alleged that the officials started having an argument with Mani, allegedly hit the actor, verbally assaulted his [[Other Backward Class|caste] Kalabhavan Mani was a Dalit] and misbehaved with his friends wives on the car. T.P.Senkumar of then Kerala Police ADGP had said that Mani was unnecessarily harassed by the officials and the actual reason behind the assault case against Mani was that he belonged to a lower caste and that discrimination against the ordinary and lower class exists in the Kerala Police force. However, the High Court criticized ADGP regarding the statement. On the other hand, the officials had alleged that Mani was in a drunk condition and also a main accused in two other assault cases. During an interview at Kairali channel, Mani said that jealousy had caused the officials registering the false case against him and the police officer who beat him had a criminal background of four charges.
Awards and honours
- 2002 – Best Villan (Tamil) – Gemini
- 1999 – Best Actor Award – Vasantiyum Lakshmiyum Pinne Njanum
- 2007 – Best Actor in a Villain Role – Chotta Mumbai
- 2008 – Vanitha Chandrika Award for Best Actor in Villain Role– Chotta Mumbai
Jaihind TV awards
- 2010 – Special Jury Award
- 2014 Bharat Gopi Foundation Award
|Loka Samastha||Chinthal Rajan|
|2014||Onnum onnum moonu (Movie)||Ambulance Driver||Abilash, Alex, Bijoy Joseph||Riaz M T, Arun, Ameer Niyas, Liyona Lishoy,|
|Konthayum Poonoolum||Police officer|
|Caribeans||Vishwanathan, Charlie, Charles|
|Crocodile Love Story||Sharp Shooter Suresh|
|Rebecca Uthup Kizhakkemala||Priest|
|Oru Kudumba Chithram||Arunagiri|
|Ayalum Njanum Thammil||Sub Inspector Purushothaman|
|Husbands in Goa||Sub Inspector Imran Khalid|
|MLA Mani: Patham Classum Gusthiyum||Mani|
|Face 2 Face||C.I. Abdul Latheef|
|Snake & Ladder||Viswanathan|
|Priyappetta Nattukare||Sakhav Dasan|
|Manushyamrugam||Circle Inspector Rajeev|
|Adaminte Makan Abu||Johnson|
|Baktha janangalude Sradhaykku||Uncle|
|2010||Oru Small Family||C I Bhargavan|
|Annarakannanum Thannalayathu||Changampuzha Pavithran|
|Oridathoru Postman||Police Officer|
|Three Char Chau Bees||Raghavan|
|2009||Keralotsavam 2009||Jeevan Isaac|
|Katha Parayum Theruvoram|
|Oru Black and White Kudumbam||Antony|
|Bullet||C I Wahid Abdul Rahman Haji|
|Shakespeare MA Malayalam||Kottayam Gopalan|
|Parthan Kanda Paralokam||Veerabhadran / Musafir|
|Abraham and Lincoln||Abraham|
|Chacko Randaman||Ottachavittu Chacko / Johny Kutty / Chacko|
|Ben Johnson||Ben Johnson / Pathrose|
|Iruvattam Manavaatti||Korathu Raghavan|
|2004||Magic Lamp||Chalakkudy Manikanthan
(an impersonation of himself)
|Kusruthi||Ezhumangalam Panan Gurukkal|
|Kanninum Kannadikkum||Praav / Maniyan|
|C.I. Mahadevan 5 Adi 4 Inchu||Karimpuli Antony|
|Sethurama Iyer CBI||Isow Alex|
|2003||War and Love||Basheer|
|Shingari Bolona||Classy Kariyachan|
|Malsaram||Kuppikandam Hamsa&Kannan Bhai|
|2002||Nakshathrakkannulla Rajakumaran Avanundoru Rajakumari||Kochu Kurup|
|Jagathi Jagadish in Town||Malleswaran|
|Malayali Mamanu Vanakkam||Thiruppathy Perumal / Muniyandi|
|Savithriyude Aranjanam||Phayaalvan Phalgunan|
|2001||The Guard||Appu Kuttan Nair, Thomachan|
|One Man Show||Ponnappan|
|Ee Nadu Ennalevare||Seyad|
|Akasthile Paravakal||Udumbu Vasu|
|Soothradharan||Ramesan's brother in law|
|Nalacharitham Naalam Divasam||Maina|
|Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal||Sudhakaran|
|Mr. Butler||'Major' Kuttan|
|Ingane Oru Nilapakshi|
|Rapid Action Force||SI Arjun|
|1984||My Dear Kuttichathan||Magician|
|1991||Captain Prabhakaran||Junior artist|
|Thatti Thaavudhu Manasu|
|Kadhal Kisu Kisu|
|Aaru||A Police Officer|
|Something Something Unakkum Enakkum||"Mark" Mayandi|
|2009||Modhi Vilayadu||Rajan Vasudev|
|2016||Pudhusa Naan Poranthen|
As playback singer
- Sammanam (1995)
- Kottaram Veettile Apputtan (1998)
- Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu (1999)
- Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum pinne njanum (1999)
- O Priye (2000)
- Achaneyanishttam (2001)
- Akasthile Paravakal (2001)
- The Guard (2001)
- Karumadikkuttan (2001)
- Bamboo Boys (2002)
- Kanmashi (2002)
- Vaalkannadi (2002)
- Kusruthy Kannan (2003)
- Kanninum Kannadiykkum (2004)
- Kazhcha (2004)
- Malsaram (2004)
- Ananthabhadram (2005)
- Ben Johnson (2005)
- Chacko Randaaman (2006)
- Kissan (2006)
- Red Salute (2006)
- Abraham Lincoln (2007)
- Evan (2007)
- Kabadi Kabadi (2008)
- Twenty Twenty (2010)
As music director
|2011||Mani Muzhagunnathu Arkkuvendi||Album Song|
|2012||MLA Mani Pathaam Classum Gusthiyum|
- MLA Mani Pathaam Classum Gusthiyum (2012)
- Manimelam as host (Kairali TV)
- Vinodsala (Doordarshan)
- Chiri Arangu (Doordarshan)
- കലാഭവന് മണിക്ക് ഇത് എന്തുപറ്റി?. mangalam.com (9 October 2013). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- A Online Malayalam Cinema News Portal. Cinidiary. Retrieved on 20 September 2015.
- "വായില് തോന്നിയത് കോതയ്ക്ക് പാട്ട്". mangalamvarika.com. Retrieved 5 May 2016. zero width joiner character in
|title=at position 7 (help)
- Mani matters. The Hindu (25 April 2002). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- Sreedhar Pillai (25 April 2002). "Mani matters". The Hindu.
- മണി ഐശ്വര്യയുടെ നായകന് , Interview – Mathrubhumi Movies. mathrubhumi.com. 10 June 2010
- Thousands Bid Goodbye to Kalabhavan Mani, Police Probe Death. The New Indian Express (7 March 2016). Retrieved on 2016-03-07.
- Mani returns as a free man, clearing off all his debts. The Malayala Manorama (11 March 2016). Retrieved on 2016-03-11.
- Kalabhavan Mani could sing, dance and act with his entire body. The Indian Express(8 March 2016). Retrieved on 2016-03-08.
- "Kalabhavan Mani: Methyl alcohol in blood, police case of unnatural death". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Alcohol and liver ailments caused Kalabhavan Mani's death". Manorama Online. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Farewell to Master Actor Kalabhavan Mani". The new Indian Express. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Actor Kalabhavan Mani passes away". The News Minute. Retrieved 2016-03-06.
- "Insecticide found in Kalabhavan Mani's viscera samples". The Hindu. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Mystery around Kalabhavan Mani's death deepens: Forensic tests confirm presence of insecticide in his body". First Post. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Mystery deepens over actor Kalabhavan Mani's death, traces of insecticide found in body". The News Minute. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Mystery: How did actor Kalabhavan Mani die?". DNA India. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- "Kerala govt to hand over Kalabhavan Mani's death probe to CBI". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- "JB Junction interview with Mani". www.jbjunction.com.
- Kalabhavan Mani assaults forest officials The Hindu(16 May 2013). Retrieved on 2013-05-16.
- Kalabhavan Mani accused of assaulting forest guards! Sify.com(16 May 2013). Retrieved on 2013-05-16.
- Kalabhavan Mani surrenders, given bail The Hindu(25 May 2013). Retrieved on 2013-05-25.
- Alleged assault on forest officials: ADGP supports Kalabhavan Mani Alleged assault on forest officials: ADGP supports Kalabhavan Mani YouTube (22 May 2013). Retrieved on 2013-05-22
- Case against Kalabhavan Mani because he is from a lower caste: Kerala Police Kollytalk (23 May 2013). Retrieved on 2013-05-23
- HC dismisses ADGP's plea to expunge criticism following casteist remarks YouTube (5 March 2015). Retrieved on 2015-03-05.
- Kalabhavan Mani granted bail The Times of India (17 June 2015). Retrieved on 2015-06-17
- Kalabhavan Mani on new generation cinema YouTube (23 June 2013). Retrieved on 2013-05-25.
- Bharath Gopy award for Kalabhavan Mani. Metromatinee.com (30 January 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalabhavan Mani.|