This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Wisconsin Dells, Sandusky, and Pocono Mountains|
|Coordinates||, , and|
|Opened||2000, 2005, and 2015|
The Kalahari Resort and Convention Center is a water park resort chain with locations in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin; Sandusky, Ohio; Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania; and planned for late 2020, in Round Rock, Texas. Named for the Kalahari Desert in southern Africa, the resorts are heavily decorated with African animals, plants, and other African motifs.
The Pocono Mountains location's 220,000-square-foot indoor water park is the largest in the United States, followed by the 173,000-square-foot waterpark in Sandusky and the Wisconsin Dells' 125,000-square-foot park.
The Wisconsin Dells resort opened in May 2000. It has 756 guest rooms, making it the second largest-resort in the state. The convention center has expanded from 100,000-square-foot (9,300 m2) to 230,000-square-foot (21,000 m2).
The indoor water park at Wisconsin Dells is the largest in Wisconsin, at 125,000 square feet (11,600 m2). It was also America's largest indoor water park until the Kalahari Resort in Sandusky finished its indoor water park expansion in December 2007. The Wisconsin Dells resort's Indoor Waterpark is home to the first indoor uphill water coaster and first indoor FlowRider surfing simulator. In 2011, the indoor waterpark went through an expansion, which included America's first indoor "Super-Loop" slides.Wisconsin Dells Kalahari also has a 77,000-square-foot (7,200 m2) outdoor water park with several water slides, a lazy river, and a three-story interactive play structure.
In December 2008, the resort added a 110,000-square-foot (10,000 m2) indoor theme park.
Opened in June 2005, the Sandusky, Ohio, resort's waterpark is 173,000 square feet (16,100 m2). In 2008, the restort expanded its 80,000 square feet (7,400 m2) water park by 93,000 square feet (8,600 m2), making it the largest indoor hotel water park at that time. The water park contains a FoilTec roof system that lets in natural light.
In August 2006, the resort opened a 100,000-square-foot (9,300 m2) convention center that was later expanded to 215,000-square-foot (20,000 m2).
The Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, location opened on July 1, 2015, and completed an expansion in March 2017. It consists of a 220,000-square-foot (20,000 m2) indoor waterpark (the country's largest), an outdoor waterpark, 230,000-square-foot (21,000 m2) convention center, 977 guest rooms, and a 40,000-square-foot (3,700 m2) arcade and entertainment center.
- "Coming Soon to Texas: America's Largest Indoor Waterparks". Kalahari Resorts. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Killough, Kirby (February 5, 2019). "Kalahari Resorts & Conventions' Round Rock location on track to open in November 2020". Community Impact Newspaper.
- Bishop, Christy. Kalahari Resorts. N.p., December 3, 2011. Web. Dec 5, 2011.
- Selwyn, Adam. Kalahari expands Waterpark, Yahoo Finance. N.p., 16 Nov. 2011. Web. 5 Dec. 2011
- Seyler, Christy. Fun Coast. N.p., January 29, 2009. Web. December 5, 2011.
- "Ohio resort boasts biggest hotel indoor water park". Orange County Register. 2008-05-25. Retrieved 2019-08-20.
- Butcher, Dan (July 15, 2009). "Top U.S. water parks". edition.cnn.com. CNN. Retrieved January 23, 2010.
- "Kalahari Resort & Hotel Breakers named top family hotels". WKYC. Retrieved 2019-08-20.
- "At least two injured at Kalahari Resort after duct falls into pool". Cleveland 5 News. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "At Least 5 Injured After Air Duct Falls Onto Guests At Ohio Water Park". KDKA 2 CBS Pittsburgh. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- Poconos' Kalahari: America's largest indoor water park - USA Today