Kalamata International Airport
|Kalamata International Airport
"Captain Vasilis Konstantakopoulos"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καλαμάτας
«Καπετάν Βασίλης Κωνσταντακόπουλος»
|Airport type||Public / Military|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||26 ft / 8 m|
Kalamata International Airport (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Καλαμάτας) (IATA: KLX, ICAO: LGKL) "Captain Vassilis Constanțakopoulos" is an airport in the city of Kalamata, Greece. It mainly receives flights during the summer. On March 2013, Aegean Airlines opened a base in the airport.
The airport is located between Kalamata and Messini on GR-82 (Pylos – Kalamata – Sparta) and west of the train tracks on the Pamisos River plain. The runway is about 2.7 km long and runs from north to south from the highway north to the plain. The terminal lies to the east and is accessed with GR-7/E55/E65 (Kalamata – Tripoli – Corinth).
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (November 2016)|
- 1959 – Kalamata International Airport opens
- 1986 – Charter flights begin to operate out of the airport
- 1991 – New aircraft terminal was built
- 1991 – Operated by Hellenic Civil Aviation
- 2012 – Renamed "Captain Vassilis Constantakopoulos" after Vassilis C. Constantakopoulos
Airlines and destinations
In the summer months, charter and scheduled flights fly direct to Kalamata International Airport from some European cities. A scheduled service by Aegean Air once a day linking Kalamata and Athens International Airport commenced in 2010.
|Aegean Airlines||Düsseldorf, Munich, Stockholm-Arlanda
Seasonal: Larnaca (begins 4 August 2017), Lyon, Milan–Malpensa, Moscow-Domodedovo (begins 30 May 2017), Nantes, Paris-Charles de Gaulle
|Armenia Aircompany||Seasonal charter: Yerevan (begins 21 June 2017)|
|Austrian Airlines||Seasonal: Vienna|
|British Airways||Seasonal: London-Heathrow|
|Condor||Seasonal: Frankfurt, Munich|
|Eurowings||Seasonal: Vienna (begins 5 July 2017)|
|Olympic Air||Thessaloniki (PSO)
Seasonal: Athens (begins 1 June 2017)
|Primera Air||Seasonal: Billund, Copenhagen|
operated by Travel Service
|Thomas Cook Airlines||Seasonal: Birmingham, London-Gatwick, Manchester|
|Travel Service||Seasonal charter: Bratislava|
|TUIfly Belgium||Seasonal charter: Lille|
Accidents and incidents
- On 16 October 1971 an Olympic Airways NAMC YS-11 was hijacked. It had departed from Kalamata International Airport to Hellinikon International Airport. All 64 passengers survived. One hijacker demanded to be taken to Lebanon. Plane stormed and hijacker arrested. The hijacking lasted less than a day.
- On November 2001, fourteen plane spotters (12 British and 2 Dutch) were arrested by the police after being observed taking photos of the air base.
The airport has been criticised for the lack of public transport. The only way to reach the airport is by car and taxi and bus. A stop on the adjacent train line to Messini and Kalamata is not operational.
- LGKL/JEPPESEN KALAMATA, GREECE, Jeppesen aerodrome charts
- "KALAMATA AIRPORT "CAPTAIN VASSILIS CONSTANTAKOPOULOS"". ypa.gr. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- "Δελτία τύπου – About Aegean".
- "Greek Airfield Bombed". The Mercury. CLVIII, (22,686). Tasmania. 17 August 1943. p. 2. Retrieved 25 February 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- British Airways Inaugural London Flight Lands in Kalamata, By Gregory Pappas, May 6, 2016, The Pappas Post, ...British Airways inaugurated its new London to Kalamata non-stop service with the arrival of flight 644 from the airline's hub at Heathrow International Airport on Thursday, May 5, 2016. Numerous local officials were on hand to welcome the inaugural flight, which will run twice weekly service between London and the city in southern Greece...
- "Aegean Airlines – Aegean Airlines".
- "Flights from Scandinavia to Vacation Destinations – PrimeraAir".
- "Book & Plan".
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "TUI Belgium outlines S17 new French / Italian routes".
- Ranter, Harro. "ASN Aircraft accident NAMC YS-11 registration unknown Athens".
- "British plane-spotters face spying charges.(Home news)", The Times (London, England), NI Syndication Limited: 13, 2001-11-12, ISSN 0140-0460, ...Byline: Philip Pank TWELVE plane-spotters from Britain face possible imprisonment in Greece after they were arrested and charged with spying at a military airbase south of Athens...
- Kalamata International Airport - Kalamatas, Messinia, Greece - Airport, Landmark & historical place, Facebook, 2016 Review:...Not even close to being an international airport.Poor building and infrastructure.Poor transport.Only taxi transport.The local buses have an uknown timetable.No info desk,no bus stop except a sign sprayed on the road,no shade at 40 celsius.Poor is being kind to this excuse of an airport...
- TRANSPORTATION / 1. Βy bus: From the airport terminal to Kalamata, Pylo, Koroni, Chora cities. KTEL of Messinias | Phone no: +30 27210 - 22851 / 2. Taxi | Phone no: +30 27220 - 23100 / 3. Radiotaxi | Phone no: +30 27210 - 21112, Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority - Our Airports - Kalamata Airport "Captain Vassilis Constantakopoulos"
- Location #1: Kalamata Airport, Before Midnight (2013) Filming Locations – The Movie District