Kalanjiyam's first film Poomani featuring Murali and Devayani won commercial and critical acclaim and the director won the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Story Writer for 1996. His next venture, the rural drama Kizhakkum Merkkum, starring Napoleon with Devayani also won positive reviews. He returned with another film, Poonthottam, with the cast of his first film; but the film went unnoticed as a result of the bigger budget films which released around the same period. He then made Nilave Mugam Kaattu (1999) starring Karthik and Devayani, which became his fourth consecutive film with the actress, though the film was panned by critics who cited the director "disappoints with this well-worn tale of friends sacrificing love for friendship." Kalanjiyam later started a film titled Kesavan with Sarathkumar and Rambha which was later shelved, before going on to make the Prabhu-starrer Mitta Miraasu in 2001.
In 2002, the director resurfaced with a project titled Sathamintri Muthamidu which was set to be the launch for actor Mayur, Devayani's younger brother, and actress Anjali though the film later failed to materialize. He also began two other films with Anjali, Valiba Desam and En Kanavu Thaanadi, though those also failed to materialize. In 2010, following actress Anjali's rise to fame, she made a goodwill gesture by agreeing to be a part of a few of Kalanjiyam's future films, noting she considered him her mentor. The director returned with his next film, Karungali in 2011, which saw himself play the lead role of a drug peddler alongside an ensemble cast including Anjali, Sunitha Varma and Asmitha. The film opened to unanimously poor reviews, with a critic noting that the film was a "crude affair", citing that the "subject in question is too heavy and has been handled in an insensitive way, making the film come across as a cheap, sex thriller." The film was later dubbed and released in Telugu as Sathi Leelavathi, with the director creditting himself under the name Prabhakaran.
In 2013, it was reported that he was working on another project titled Oor Suttri Puranam with Anjali again, with the actress suffering a freak accident on the sets of the film. In a turn of events, Anjali filed charges against the film-maker noting he had been advising her step-mother on various issues and feared that she was being harassed by him. The film has since been stalled and Kalanjiyam subsequent sought an industry wide ban against the actress for failing to complete the film. In 2014, he worked as an actor in Kathiravan's Kodai Mazhai and landed in trouble for slapping actress Sri Priyanka during the making of the film, prompting her faint on location. He was involved and injured in a fatal accident in August 2014, when a car he was travelling in had toppled in Andhra Pradesh, killing a co-passenger.
|1996||Poomani||N||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Story Writer|
|1998||Kizhakkum Merkkum||N||Tamil||Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Film Portraying Woman in Good Light|
|1999||Nilave Mugam Kaattu||N||Tamil|
|2016||Kathiravanin Kodai Mazhai||N||Tamil|
- "Kizhakkum Merkum: Movie Review". Webcache.googleusercontent.com. 5 September 2013. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 15 September 2013.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "PoonthOttam: Movie Review". Webcache.googleusercontent.com. 5 September 2013. Archived from the original on 13 March 2013. Retrieved 15 September 2013.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120909110827/http://www.thenisai.com/tamil/movies-cinema/nilave-mugam-kaattu-tamil-movies.htm. Archived from the original on 9 September 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2013. Missing or empty
- "Anjali signs handful - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 27 July 2010. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Tamil movies : Will luck favor 'Boys' fame Nakul this time?". Webcache.googleusercontent.com. 2 September 2013. Archived from the original on 18 September 2015. Retrieved 15 September 2013.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Movie Review : Karungali". Sify.com. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Karungali Tamil Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". Indiaglitz.com. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Name change for Kalanjiyam". The Times of India. 2 July 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Freak accident on the sets, Anjali suffers electric shock, Anjali, Kalanjiyam". Behindwoods.com. 9 March 2013. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Anjali alleges harassment". Chennaivision.com. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Kalanjiyam: I will drag Anjali to court - KOLLY TALK". KOLLY TALK. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Director Kalanjiyam Meets With an Accident - Silverscreen.in". Silverscreen.in. Retrieved 19 September 2014.