|Directed by||A. Sarkunam|
|Written by||A. Sarkunam|
|Music by||S. S. Kumaran|
|Edited by||Raja Mohammad|
|Distributed by||Ayngaran International|
|Budget||₹1.5 crore (equivalent to ₹2.5 crore or US$350,000 in 2018)|
|Box office||₹5 crore (equivalent to ₹8.4 crore or US$1.2 million in 2018)|
Kalavani (Thief) is a 2010 Indian Tamil-language romantic comedy film written and directed by newcomer A. Sarkunam. It stars Vimal and debutante Oviya in the lead with Saranya Ponvannan, Ganja Karuppu and Ilavarasu in supporting roles. The film was made on a shoe-string budget, and released on 25 June 2010. and became a sleeper hit of 2010. Later the movie was remade in Kannada as Kirataka.
Two villages in Thanjavur area are always at loggerheads with each other, and it spills even to T20 cricket match between kids from both villages. Arivazhagan aka Arikki (Vimal) is a wayward son of Lakshmi (Saranya Ponvannan), who is in awe but at the same time fears him. Her husband Ramasamy (Ilavarasu) is away in Dubai, and a large part of the money he sends home is taken away by Arikki using extortionist methods, such as threatening to break the TV set at home. He is yet to pass his 12th standard. Arikki spends time in bars with friends, teases girls, asks them to profess their love for him, and gets into brawls after conning others. He meets Maheshwari (Oviya) and wants her to declare her love for him, which she finally confesses. He abducts her, and they eventually marry. Her brother Ilango (Thirumurugan) is a tough guy who has an axe to grind against Arikki and his gang, which leads to the twist in the climax. Ilango, fuming with rage, is out to slice him into pieces. Does he do that? If he did not, then how did Arikki manage to avert that? All this is answered in an interesting climax that is pleasantly humorous.
- Vimal as Arivazhagan (Arikki)
- Oviya as Maheshwari (Mahesh)
- Saranya Ponvannan as Lakshmi
- Ganja Karuppu as Panchayathu
- Ilavarasu as Ramasamy
- Soori as Manikandan
- Sujatha Sivakumar as Rajee
- Thirumurugan as Ilango
- Antony as Arikki's friend
- Kannan as Florist
|Soundtrack album by|
|Producer||S. S. Kumaran|
|S. S. Kumaran chronology|
|"Oru Murai Iru Murai"||Harish Raghavendra, Srimathumitha|
|"Pada Pada Padavena"||Yash Golcha|
|"Peancha Mazhai"||A. Devendran|
Kalavani generally opened to positive reviews. Bhamadevi Ravi from The Times of India gave 4/5 and calling it "a complete entertainer." Sify rated the movie 4 out of 5 and stated that "Kalavani is a knockout entertainer set in a rural milieu." A critic from Top10Cinema wrote that "Kalavani is a blatant revision of Bharathiraja's yesteryear films based on villager's conflicts and guy-gal falling in love." Gautaman Bhaskaran of Hindustan Times gave it 3/5 and wrote that "Kalavani is a canvas of delightful rural romance."
Following the film's success, director Gautham Menon's Photon Kathaas has acquired the film's rights to remake it other languages. It was remade in Kannada as Kirataka with Oviya being retained as the female lead.
Seven years after the film's release, the Chennai branch of the Censor Board Of Film Certification (CBFC) was recently served a notice by the High Court after a minor pregnant girl told the court that she obtained inspiration from the film Kalavani. The girl's parents claimed that the censor board had acted negligently in giving the film a "U" certificate.
- Kalavani another low budget film a hit?
- IndiaGlitz - Kalavani Tamil Movie Review
- Kalavani – Movie Review
- "Sarkunam's movie succeed at box office - The Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Kalavani movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Movie Review:Kalavani". Sify. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Kalavani | Movie Review". Top 10 Cinema. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Gautaman Bhaskaran's Review: Kalavani". Hindustan Times. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Kalavani goes places - The Times of India". The Times of India.
- "'Kalavani 2' plans getting firmed up !!!". indiaglitz.com. 2016-11-16. Retrieved 2018-04-03.