|Place of origin||Philippines|
|Region or state||Popular in the Philippines, Luzon (Southern Tagalog)|
|Main ingredients||Goat /mutton shoulders, corn oil, onion, garlic, carrots, bell pepper, potatoes, chili, flour, liver spread, tomato paste, butter, stock (beef or brown)|
|Variations||Beef, pork, chicken|
Commonly, the goat meat is stewed with vegetables and liver paste. Vegetables may include tomatoes, potatoes, olives, bell peppers, and hot peppers. Kaldereta sometimes includes tomato sauce.
Caldereta's name is derived from the Spanish word caldera meaning cauldron. The dish is similar to meat stews from the Iberian Peninsula and was brought to the Philippines by the Spaniards during their 300-year occupation in the Philippines.
Kaldereta is served during special occasions, parties, and festivities.
For goat meat, extra procedures are required compared to other meats as it can be gamy. To prevent this, the meat is marinated in vinegar, salt and ground black pepper at least an hour before cooking.
For chicken, marinating the meat with pineapple juice and soy sauce can boost its flavor.
Add in tomato sauce, bay leaf, salt, sugar and water to the pot and simmer for 1 hour and a half to 2 hours.
When the meat is tender enough, the bell pepper, potato, carrot and hot sauce can be added and the whole mixture is to be simmered for an additional 10 minutes.
Lastly, the liver paste and green peas are stirred in the mixture and is simmered for another 5 minutes.
Green olives may be added to provide a nice sour flavor to compliment the other ingredients.
Garnish with shredded cheese on top of the stew and serve with rice.
- Dagoon, Jesse D; Dagoon, Aida L; Dagoon, Jasmin Flora L (1999). Culinary Arts I. Manila: Rex Book Store, Inc. p. 138. ISBN 971-23-2603-9. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- Schwabe, Calvin W (1979). Unmentionable Cuisine. University of Virginia Press. p. 152. ISBN 0-8139-0811-6. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Kalderetang Kambing Recipe". Pinoy Recipe At Iba Pa. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Kalderetang Baka Recipe". Pinoy Recipe At Iba Pa. Retrieved 16 December 2007.
- "Chicken Caldereta Recipe". Pinoy Recipe At Iba Pa. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Beef Kaldereta Recipe". Panlasang Pinoy. 2019-03-10. Retrieved 2020-08-05.
- "Kalderetang Kambing (Goat Stew Recipe)". Panlasang Pinoy. 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2020-08-05.
- "Chicken Caldereta". kawaling pinoy. 2020-01-18. Retrieved 2020-08-05.
- "Beef Kaldereta (Caldereta) Filipino Beef Stew". Salu Salo Recipes. 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2020-08-05.
- "Pork Kaldereta Recipe". Panlasang Pinoy. 2013-09-01. Retrieved 2020-08-05.
- Media related to Kaldereta at Wikimedia Commons