This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Regions with significant populations|
The Kaleun people (also called Laoeng) are an ethnic group of Thailand and Laos.
- Tai Kaleun
- Lao Kaleun
The Kaleun are a Tai ethnic group. However, they may have been descended from Bru people who shifted to a Southwestern Tai language resembling Phuthai and Yoy, as the Vietnamese also refer to the Bru as Ka Leung. Chamberlain (2016) conjectures that the Kaleun may have originally been Vietic speakers.
- Mukdahan Province of Thailand
- Nakhon Phanom Province of Thailand
- Sakhon Nakhon Province of Thailand
- Borikhamxai Province of Laos
The Kaleun typically speak Northeastern Thai as their primary language.
- World Bank. 2004. Nakai plateau - EMDP and RAP. s.l. ; s.n.. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/603081468046179395/Nakai-plateau-EMDP-and-RAP