Kalevala Township, Carlton County, Minnesota
|Kalevala Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Land||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,234 ft (376 m)|
|• Density||8.4/sq mi (3.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0664592|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.8 square miles (93 km2), all of it land.
- Eagle Township (north)
- Skelton Township (east)
- Moose Lake Township (southeast)
- Silver Township (south)
- Split Rock Township (southwest)
- Automba Township (west)
The township contains these two cemeteries: Leonard and West Branch.
As of the census of 2000, there were 302 people, 125 households, and 80 families residing in the township. The population density was 8.4 people per square mile (3.3/km²). There were 181 housing units at an average density of 5.1/sq mi (2.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.01% White, 0.66% Pacific Islander, and 0.33% from two or more races. 34.9% were of Finnish, 14.9% German, 9.8% Norwegian, 8.4% American and 8.0% Polish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 125 households out of which 24.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.2% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.0% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 27.2% from 45 to 64, and 16.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 115.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 116.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $33,333, and the median income for a family was $41,875. Males had a median income of $29,688 versus $26,000 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,144. About 4.6% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen or sixty five or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Kalevala Township total population
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 74.