Kaliachak III (community development block)
কালিয়াচক III সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক
|Community development block|
|• Total||127.37 km2 (49.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Maldaha Dakshin|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Baisnabnagar|
Kaliachak III (community development block) is an administrative division in Malda Sadar subdivision of Malda district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Kaliachak and Baisnabnagar police stations serve this block. Headquarters of this block is at Dariapur.
Kaliachak III community development block is located at
Gram panchayats of Kaliachak III block/ panchayat samiti are: Akandabaria, Sahabajpur, Charianantapur, Golapganj, Bhagabanpur, Krishnapur, Bedrabad, Sahabanchak, Birnagar-I, Birnagar-II, Laxmipur, Kumbhira, Bakhrabad and Pardeonapur Sovapur.
Impact of Farakka Barrage on the Human Fabric
Left bank erosion of the Ganges upstream of Farakka Barrage has rendered nearly 4.5 lakh people homeless in Manikchak, Kaliachak I, II and III and Ratua blocks over the last three decades of the past century. The worst hit area is between Bhutnidiara and Panchanandapore in Kaliachak II block. According to the Ganga Bhangan Pratirodh Action Nagarik Committee 750 km2 area was lost in 30 years in the Manikchak and Kalichak areas.
As per 2011 Census of India Kaliachak III CD Block had a total population of 359,071 of which 329,147 were rural and 6,047 were urban. There were 184,213 males and 174,858 females. Scheduled Castes numbered 105,698 and Scheduled Tribes numbered 25,310.
As per 2011 census the total number of literates in Kaliachak III CD Block was 159,712 out of which 90,816 were males and 68,896 were females.
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". Malda district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "Kaliachak III at a Glance". Maldah District. District administration. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "GPwise Population of Malda district". Malda district. Malda district administration. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Banerjee, Manisha. "A Report on the Impact of Farakka Barrage on the Human Fabric, November 1999" (PDF). The social impact of erosion, pp 13-14. South Asia Network On Dams, Rivers and People, New Delhi: 110 088 India. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 21 September 2015.