Kaliachak I (community development block)
কালিয়াচক ১ সমষ্টি উন্নয়ন ব্লক
|Community development block|
|• Total||106.60 km2 (41.16 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,900/km2 (7,600/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Maldah Dakshin|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Mothabari, Sujapur|
Kaliachak I (community development block) is an administrative division in Malda Sadar subdivision of Malda district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Kaliachak police station serves this block. Headquarters of this block is at Kaliachak.
Kaliachak I community development block is located at
Gram panchayats of Kaliachak I block/ panchayat samiti are: Jaluabathal, Bamongram Mosimpur, Jalalpur, Sujapur, Gayeshbari, Nawada Jadupur, Kaliachak-I, Kaliachak-II, Alipur-I, Alipur-II, Mozampur,Alinagar, Silampur-I and Silampur-II.
Impact of Farakka Barrage on the Human Fabric
Left bank erosion of the Ganges upstream of Farakka Barrage has rendered nearly 4.5 lakh people homeless in Manikchak, Kaliachak I, II and III and Ratua blocks over the last three decades of the past century. The worst hit area is between Bhutnidiara and Panchanandapore in Kaliachak II block. According to the Ganga Bhangan Pratirodh Action Nagarik Committee 750 km2 area was lost in 30 years in the Manikchak and Kalichak areas.
As per 2011 Census of India Kaliachak I CD Block had a total population of 392,517 of which 269,058 were rural and 123,459 were urban. There were 200,451 males and 192,066 females. Scheduled Castes numbered 15,033 and Scheduled Tribes numbered 1,542.
As per 2011 census the total number of literates in Kaliachak I CD Block was 213,041 out of which 113,570 were males and 99,471 were females.
Kaliachak is on NH 34
- "Contact details of Block Development Officers". Malda district. West Bengal Government. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "Kaliachak I at a Glance". Maldah District. District administration. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- "GPwise Population of Malda district". Malda district. Malda district administration. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Banerjee, Manisha. "A Report on the Impact of Farakka Barrage on the Human Fabric, November 1999" (PDF). The social impact of erosion, pp 13-14. South Asia Network On Dams, Rivers and People, New Delhi: 110 088 India. Retrieved 2011-02-17.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 21 September 2015.