Kaliganj Upazila, Jhenaidah
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||310.16 km2 (119.75 sq mi)|
|• Density||706/km2 (1,830/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
Kaliganj (Bengali: কালীগঞ্জ (ঝিনাইদহ)) is an Upazila of Jhenaidah District in the Division of Khulna, Bangladesh. One of the most important business areas is Kaliganj under Jhenaidah District. It crosses between Dhaka Khulna Highway. It has the myth of Gazi Kalu Champabati, Historical mosques of Barobazar, the largest banyan tree in Asia & the flow of Chitra & Begobati.
Bethuli, Kaliganj is located at. It has 38,339 households and a total area of 310.16 km².
As of the 1991 Bangladesh census, Kaliganj had a population of 219,126. Males constituted 51.76% of the population, and females 48.24%. The population aged 18 or older was 112,587. Kaliganj has an average literacy rate of 29.7% (7+ years), compared to the national average of 32.4%.
- Mobarakganj Sugar Mills Ltd
- Cold store etc.
Points of interest
- Naldanga Temple Complex:, in the Kaliganj Upazila, is a temple complex built in 1656 by Maharaj Indranarayan Debroy. There are a total of six temples now. The government restored all of them in 1980s but they were destroyed again during the riot and now most of them are in ruins. Renovations are still going on. The idol of goddess Kali was from Banaras, India.
- The biggest banyan tree in the world is situated at Mollikpur Village under Kaligonj Upazila.
- Baro Bazar: Gazi kalur chompa botir Mazar, Gora Mosjid, Sako bazar mosjid and more than 10 other mosques and more than 5 large dighi (reservoirs) are situated in Baro Bazar of Kaligonj.
- Bulu Deouan er Mazar is another remarkable place in Kaligonj Upazila.
- Kolika Doha is situated in Naldanga, 300 miter distance from Naldanga Temple Complex.
- The Gunjanath temple dates back to the 17th century, also in Kaliganj. It can be reached from Naldanga.
- Alaipur Mosque : A historical mosque has been discovered here in the previous decade.
Kaligonj Upozilla is known as Jhenaidah-4 in Parliament of Bangladesh. Kaliganj has 11 Unions, 9 Wards, 206 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 196 villages. Member of Parliament :
- Mr. Anoarul Azim Anar, MP (5 January 2014 – present) in 10th General Election
- Mr. Abdul Mannan, MP (2009–2014) in 9th General Election
- Mr. Shahidul Islam Baltu, MP (1991–1996, February 1996 – June 1996, 1996–2001, 2001–2006) in 5th to 8th General Election
List of Union Councils
The following union councils are in Kaliganj:
- Sundorpur-Durgapur Union
- Jamal Union
- Kola Union
- Niamotpur Union
- Simla Rokonpur Union
- Trilochonpur Union
- Raigram Union
- Maliat Union
- BaroBazar Union
- Kastovanga Union
- Rakhalgasi Union
- Shaheed Noor Ali College
- Sait Baria Haqqul Huda Alim Madrasha
- Mahatab Uddin Degree College, Kaliganj
- Ramnagor College
- Rostom Ali High School, Roghunathpur.
- Naldanga Bhushan Pilot Secondary School, (Kaliganj) was formed in 1882 by Rajadhiraj Pramatha Bhushan Roy Choudhury
- Solimun Nesa Girls' High School, Kaliganj
- Chaprail High School, Kaliganj, Jhenaidah was formed in 1963.
- Mobarakganj High School, Kaliganj, Jhenaidah