This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Intersection of TN-6 and TN-204 near Kallakurichi bus stand
|Named for||Sugarcane City Agriculture|
|• Type||First Grade Municipality|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
According to 2011 census, Kallakkurichi had a population of 52,507 with a sex-ratio of 984 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 5,541 were under the age of six, constituting 2,914 males and 2,627 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 15.49% and .27% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 77.08%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 12801 households. There were a total of 19,013 workers, comprising 471 cultivators, 840 main agricultural labourers, 537 in house hold industries, 14,673 other workers, 2,492 marginal workers, 33 marginal cultivators, 414 marginal agricultural labourers, 102 marginal workers in household industries and 1,943 other marginal workers. As per the religious census of 2011, Kallakurichi had 83.87% Hindus, 13.4% Muslims, 1.72% Christians, 0.04% Sikhs, 0.02% Buddhists, 0.17% Jains, 0.71% following other religions and 0.08% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
The climate is moderate, with the maximum temperature being 38 °C and the minimum at 21 °C. The town gets its rainfall from the northeast monsoon during the winter months and the southwest monsoon during the summer months. The average annual rainfall is 1,070 mm.
- "About city". Kallakurichi municipality. 2015. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Kallakkurichi". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "About city". Kallakurichi municipality. 2011. Archived from the original on 1 September 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kallakurichi.|