|• Mayor||Lukas Jacobs (CD&V)|
|• Governing party/ies||CD&V, VLD|
|• Total||59.45 km2 (22.95 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2013)|
|• Density||300/km2 (790/sq mi)|
Kalmthout (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈkɑlmtɦʌu̯t]) is a municipality in the Belgian province of Antwerp. The municipality comprises the villages of Kalmthout, Achterbroek and Nieuwmoer. On January 1, 2007 Kalmthout had a population of 17,508. The total area is 59.45 square kilometres (22.95 sq mi). Kalmthout has a population density of 294 inhabitants per km².
In addition to Kalmthout itself, the municipality also contains the communities of Dorp-Heuvel, Heide, Achterbroek, and Nieuwmoer.
The Arboretum Kalmthout is one of Belgium's most beautiful botanical gardens. The Kalmthoutse Heide is a nature reserve of nearly 10,000 acres (40 km2) spanning the border between Belgium and the Netherlands.
Former parish priest Bruno Vos of Nieuwmoer parish was officially charged with rape of a minor by the Belgian judiciary. He was also alleged to possess child pornography. The Antwerp court of appeal sentenced him to nine years imprisonment in April 2009.
- Hector Carlier (1884-1946), industrialist and cofounder of Petrofina
- Maria Rosseels (1916-2005), journalist and writer
- Willy Vandersteen (1913-1990), Flemish comic book creator of Spike and Suzy
- Karel Bossart (1903-1975), Designer of the Atlas missile
- The three members of Flemish folk and world music group Laïs are from Kalmthout.
- Media related to Kalmthout at Wikimedia Commons
- (Dutch) Kalmthout Official website
- (Dutch) Scouts Kalmthout heuvel Official website
- (Dutch) Arboretum Kalmthout Official website
- Kalmthoutse Heide (in English)
|This Antwerp location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|