|Founded||1st January 1973|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Services||Horoscope, Kundali Matching, career Reports|
|Revenue||₹550 million (US$8.6 million)|
Number of employees
Kalnirnay (Marathi: timely decision) is a calmanac (Calendar +Almanac) published in India. The almanac gives simplified information about the Panchang, auspicious days, festivals, holidays, sunrise and sunset. It has recipes, stories on health and education, monthly Bhavishya and articles on Hindu astrology.
was founded in 1973 by Jayantrao Salgaonkar. It initially started as a hand-printed almanac for Marathi subscribers. The first issue was sold to 10,000 subscribers. It gradually grew to become the largest selling publication in the world, with around 19 million copies being sold annually.
Publication and contents
Kalnirnay is published annually, by Sumangal Publishing, as a calendar almanac for all Indian religions. It contains auspicious dates, festivals and celebrations of Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Parsis and Jews are mentioned in detail. It also provides useful information about Daily Panchang, Shubh Vivah Muhurat, Sankashti Chauturthi Chandroday Timing, Daily Sun Rise – Moon Rise Timings, Monthly Astrological Predictions for all Zodiac Signs, etc. It is published in nine languages - English, Marathi, Hindi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu , Kannada, Malayalam and Punjabi with Marathi accounting for the bulk of its readers. In addition to dates and times of religious and cultural relevance, each issue also contains articles on topics such as health, food and beauty.
- Kalnirnay Language Editions : almanac available in 9 languages
- Kalnirnay Special Editions : Swadishtha & Aarogya
- Kalnirnay Other Editions : Office, Car & Desk Editions
- Compatibility Reports
- Janam Patrika
- Kundali Matching
- Know your gem
- "Kalnirnay to launch regional editions". Expressindia.com. 20 October 1999. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "About Sumangal". Kalnirnay official website. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Kanade, Siddhesh (21 August 2013). "Jayantrao Salgaonkar, founder of Kalnirnay passes away". Printweek. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- jaisinghani, Bella (22 August 2013). "Man who revolutionized the almanac passes away at 84". The Times Of India. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Indo Asian, News Service (20 August 2013). "Astrologer Jayantrao Salgaonkar dead at 84". News Reporter. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Kalnirnay' almanac founder, Jayantrao Salgaonkar dead". Bombay Informer. 20 August 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.