|Born||October 31, 1956 (age 61)|
|Known for||Painting and Sculpture|
|Movement||Excessivism (founder), |
Light and Space
Kaloust Guedel (born October 31, 1956) is a Cyprus-born American artist of Armenian descent. He is a self-educated artist and theorist. Guedel is known as the founder of the Excessivism movement. He lives and works in Los Angeles, California since 1975.
Kaloust Guedel’s work explores contemporary issues often taking a critical stand on various societies shortcomings. Throughout the years, it has explored subjects as genocide, war, abuse and others. Regardless of the styles and technics he has employed, his work has been consistent with contemporary sensibility and has reflected the consciousness of its time. Guedel is the first artist who used vinyl as a medium in paintings. He has been featured in publications like Masters of Today and has been known to explore capitalism and excess in his minimalist conceptual artworks.
Kaloust Guedel presented the Excessivism movement in an exhibition "Excessivist Initiative" in LA Artcore Brewery Annex, and the Excessivism Manifesto was published in Downtown News weekly in September 2015.
- The National Art Center, Tokyo, Japan, 2019
- Nagasaki Fine Art Museum, Nagasaki, Japan, 2017
- Yokohoma Civis Gallery At Azamino, Yokohoma, Japan, 2017
- Saatchi Gallery, London, UK 2013
- Bienal Internacional de Curitiba 2013, Curitiba, Brazil
- Texas National/Stephen F. Austin State University, Curated by Dave Hickey, Nacogdoches, TX, 2012
- Viridian Artists Gallery, Curated by Elisabeth Sussman, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, N.Y., 2012
- Busan Cultural Art Center (BIAF), Seoul, S. Korea, 2008
- Beijing GuanYinTang Art Street (GIAF), Beijing, China, 2008
- Seojong Center (GIAF), Seoul, S. Korea, 2008
- Museum of Modern Art, Yerevan, Armenia, 2005
- Forest Lawn Museum, Los Angeles, CA, 2003
- Butler Institute of American Art, Youngstown, OH, 1986
- Art & Museum, (page 48) Autumn 2017 
- HotArtStuff, WALLS: A quest for immersive space in DTLA’s newest collaborative studio/project, PRODUCE HAUS, By Shana Nys Dambrot, March 22, 2017
- Diversions LA, All That Glitters, by Genie Davis January 6, 2017
- Artillery Magazine
- West Hollywood Lifestyle, Expansive Space Inside The Historic 7th Street Market Features New Work
- LA Art Party, Celebrate the Art of Zadikian, Kaloust Guedel, and KuBO! by Kathy Leonardo
- Artcopyblog, KALOUST GUEDEL’S EXCESSIVISM AND THE RISE OF DONALD TRUMP, by Brenda Haroutunian, JUNE 26, 2016
- WideWalls Magazine, Excessivism - A Phenomenon Every Art Collector Should Know, by Angie Kordic, January 2016
- Asbarez, (Armenian), by Ani Tadevosyan, January 13, 2016
- Gallereo Magazine, The Newest Art Movement You've Never Heard of, Nov. 20, 2015
- CaliforniaNewswire, New Art Movement, Excessivism, is a Commentary on Economic Materialism, Nov. 02, 2015
- Miemi Herald, Excessivism is Best Kept Secret in the Art World, Nov. 02, 2015
- Downtown News, Excessivism Manifesto, September 28, 2015, page 10
- The Huffington Post, Excessivism: Irony, *Imbalance and a New Rococo, by Shana Nys Dambrot, art critic, curator, September 23, 2015
- Effetto Arte, July/August, 2015
- Bare Hill Publishing,  Installation & Site Specific #2, 2015, Hardcover : ISBN 978-1-909825-15-4
- Asbarez, Ani Tadevosyan, May 15, 2015
- Artweek LA May 13, 2015
- Reuters, Why Donald Trump's Bid for Presidency Related to New Art Movement is Essential? Artist Kaloust Guedel Explains, Dec. 14, 2015
- Asbarez, Ani Tadevosyan, October 30, 2014
- Bienal Internacional De Curitiba 2013 (Exhibition Catalogue), 2013
- Asbarez, Ani Tadevosyan, August 15, 2013
- Yerevan Magazine, Nare Garibyan, September/October, 2012
- Eyes On: Abstracts by Blaze Hill Press, page 53
- Armenian Observer, Ruben Amirian, Jan. 11, 2012
- International Dictionary of Artists by World Wide Art Books, 2011
- "L'inhumanité de l'homme envers l'homme : voyage au bout de la nuit" / Exhibition : "Man's Inhumanity to Man : Journey Out of Darkness" April-2010
- New American Paintings, 15th Anniversary edition by Open Studios Press, 2009, cover
- LA Daily News, Susan Abram, April 23, 2009 page 1
- Man's Inhumanity to Men: Journey Out of Darkness ... (Exhibition Catalogue), 2009
- Afisha, Larisa Pilinsky, Nov. - Dec. 2008
- Masters of Today by MOT, 2008
- Trends by MOT, 2008
- GIAF (Exhibition Catalogue), 2008
- BIAF (Exhibition Catalogue), 2008
- The Armenian Mirror-Spectator, March 1, 2008
- The Armenian Reporter, March 1, 2008
- Glendale News-Press, Art:the remix - Four artists will display works in New Mixed Media show at Brand Library and Art Galleries, By Joyce Rudolph Oct. 07, 2006
- Peter Frank, "Pick of the Week: New Mixed Media," LA Weekly, 2006
- Panorama, May 28, 2004
- Texas National, Stephen F. Austin State University (Exhibition Catalogue), 2003
- From Ararat To America- Contemporary Armenian Artists /Forest Lawn Museum (Exh. Catalogue), 2003
- Voice of America (Radio Interview in Armenian), July 7, 2003
- News-Press, April 29, 2003
- Los Angeles Independent, April 23, 2003
- The Artists Blue Book by Dunbier, Lonnie Pierson, 2003
- Arts & Entertainment, April 23, 2003
- 17th Annual Greater Midwest International, Central Missouri State University (Exhibition Catalogue), 2002
- The Artists Blue Book by Ask Art, 2001
- New American Paintings by Open Studios Press, December 2000
- Gallery Guide, March 1991
- Artspace, summer 1991
- Artscene, December 1990
- 50th National Midyear Exhibition, The Butler Institute of American Art (Exhibition Catalogue), 1986
- "Saatchi Gallery in London to Display Work of Kaloust Guedel - Hetq - News, Articles, Investigations". hetq.am. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Reflections in the Aftermath of an Exhibition". Asbarez.com. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Excessivism: Irony, Imbalance and a New Rococo". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Contemporary Art Exhibits at LA Artcore". www.laartcore.org. Archived from the original on 2015-10-29. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Kavi Gupta Gallery : News : Roxy Paine - Excessivism, LA Artcore, Los Angeles". kavigupta.com. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "The "EXCESSIVIST INITIATIVE" An Art Exhibition October 2 Through October 29 | PRLog". www.prlog.org. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "ART & ENTERTAINMENT IN BRIEF 13/6 - News VietNamNet". english.vietnamnet.vn. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Armenian Requiem Celebrates Dia De Los Muertos". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Garboushian Gallery Premiers '1915' Exhibit". Asbarez.com. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Downtown News, Excessivism Manifesto, September 28, 2015 page 10
- https://www.reuters.com/article/kaloustguedel-idUSnPn532Lx7+84+PRN20151214[permanent dead link]