This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Kalyan-Dombivali Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Rajendra Devlekar (Shiv Sena)|
|• Municipal Commissioner||P Velarasu|
|• Deputy Mayor||Moreshwar Shreeram Bhoir (BJP)|
|• Total||137.15 km2 (52.95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||8.84 m (29.00 ft)|
|• Total||1,246,381 (with Dombivli)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN CODE||421301(Kalyan (West)) 421304 (Kalyan (S.O.)) 421306 (Kalyan (East))|
|Sex ratio||917 females/1000 males ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kalyan|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kalyan|
|Civic agency||Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation|
Kalyan is within the administrative division (tahsil) at a taluka level of the Thane District. Kalyan and its neighbouring township of Dombivli jointly form the Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation, abbreviated as KDMC. It is considered a part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, along with Vitthalwadi, Bhiwandi, Thane, Ulhasnagar and the municipal councils of Ambernath and Badlapur. Kalyan is the 7th biggest city in Maharashtra and 28th in the country.
In pre-independent India, the administration spelled Kalyan as Kallian, Callian and sometimes as callianee. The city has been attacked by various foreign armies including the Mughal, the Portuguese and the British. The Marathas were held in high regard by the locals for being the only line of defence against invasions.
Walter Hamilton, a foreign visitor passing through India described Callianee as follows in his 1820 book A Geographical, Statistical, and Historical Description of Hindostan, and the Adjacent Counties, Volume 2 on page 150:
Anandi Gopal Joshi, a Women from Kalyan along with Kadambini Ganguly was one of the first two Indian women to obtain a degree in Western medicine in 1886. She is also believed to be the first Hindu woman to set foot on American soil.
The city of Kalyan was surrounded by a fort wall, the construction of which began during Shah Jahan's reign and was completed during Aurangzeb's reign in 1694 A.D. This city wall, which ran in excess of 2000 yards, 2123 to be precise, was guarded by 4 gates and 11 towers. The fort wall enclosed an area of 70 acres and on a high mound near the Kalyan creek, where the current Ganesh ghat stands, was a fine fort since as early as 1570.
The wall of the fort along the top of the inner bank of the ditch, and, near the north end, had a gateway known as the Delhi or Killyacha Darwaja.
Under the Marathas (1760–72), a new gate about 150 feet (46 m) to the south of the Ganesh gate was opened near the mansion of Ramji Mahadeo Biwalkar, the Peshwa's Governor. In the citadel of the fort Marathas built a small wooden temple of Durgadevi behind the mosque, and called the fort Durgadi Killa in honour of the goddess, a name which it still bears. The fort measures 220 feet (67 m) in length and somewhat less in breadth. Under the English rule, the fort wall was dismantled and stones carried to build the Kalyan and Thane piers and a dwelling for the customs inspector in the west of the Kalyan fort. The gate to the north-west is almost the only trace of the fort wall, which is of rough stone masonry. During 1876 the original idol of the goddess Durga was stolen.
|Climate data for Kalyan|
|Average high °C (°F)||30.6
|Average low °C (°F)||14.6
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||2.3
|Source: Government of Maharashtra|
Auto-rickshaws are an important mode of transport. 200,000 Kalyan citizens travel daily by auto-rickshaw
With more than 700,000 population. Kalyan is a part of Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation established in 1983 with municipalities of Kalyan, Dombivli, Ambernath and 81 villages. It was then one of the largest urban local body in Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) and in the state with the area around 209 km2. Government of Maharashtra has taken decision to delete major area of the corporation limits on different occasion. Presently the total area of the corporation has remained to the tune of 67 km2.
Prime residential areas in Kalyan. 1. Rambaug- Rambaug is also famous as the heart of the city. The railway station is 3 minutes walk from Rambaug. Major banks and hospital are close by. Rambaug has 6 lanes from lane 0 to lane 5. Rambaug lane number 5 is famous for "Sri Vani Vidyashala High School" Literacy rate in Rambaug is 100. Rambaug is the only place in Kalyan which remains connected even in traffic chaos. Property prices are heavy due to connectivity advantage.
2.Par-naka, Lal-Chowki, Dudh-Naka, Gandhi Chowk, Tilak Chowk:
This area is also known as the 'Old Kalyan' or 'जुनं कल्याण' .This area or locality is where people are residing from the 19th and 20th Century.This area is located to the north-west of the Kalyan Station on the west side.This area now also has many structures which are having historical importances and houses which were built in the 1900s called as Wada's (वाडा).Today, also one can take horse-carts from Kalyan Station for coming to this area though their numbers have dwindled in the years.Lal-Chowki has well connectivity to Railway Station as well as to the other parts of city as it has Rickshaw stand and Bus stop where City and State buses stop.Many Schools and Colleges are here. IES's Subhedar Wada School is also one of the many schools in this area. This area has become the 'Cultural Centre' for present Kalyan City as all festivals are celebrated with great enthusiasm at Tilak Chowk.Many Residential buildings are there in this area.It is also one of the many silence zones which are there in the city, declared by Municipal Corporation.Dr. Anandibai Joshi, the first Indian Women doctor also used to reside in this area at Parnaka. Dudh-Naka is famous for its milk produce and sales in Kalyan City.Gandhi Chowk is famous for its Merchants.This area is the one of the most 'literate' areas Kalyan city has at present.
3. Ammu Nagar in Kalyan west is centrally located prime residential area because of its proximity to important places ….
- 5 minutes drive from Kalyan Railway Station, 7 minutes drive from Shahad Railway Station, 10 minutes from Vithalwadi Railway Station.
- 10 minutes drive from Khadakpada, Godrej Hills,
- Walkable distance from all major banks, all major coaching classes, K.M Agrawal College Birla College & School, Lourdes School, Holy Cross Convent School,
- Municipal Commissioners Bungalow, DCP Bungalow,
- Sub-Registrar Office I & II, Income-Tax Office, Central Excise office, Dy.RTO etc.
- Near proposed KDMT bus depot.
4. Godrej Hills-It is a prime residential area in Kalyan West
5. Right at NH 222, is coming up a new development by Kalyan's most renowned developer. The new development would be spread across 9-acres and would be the first luxury address of Kalyan. Post this, NH 222 would host major residential portions of Kalyan
Electric supply: The township receives its electric supply from the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL).
Roads: The inner arterial roads and the main routes through the city have been developed by the MSRDC.
Water supply: The city has good water sources in and around it, which includes the Ulhas river in its vicinity, lakes in the central areas, and high storage tanks. the city boasts of an eco friendly waste water treatment plant and a water cleaning plant near Gandhare village.
KDMC is a municipal corporation in Thane district of Maharashtra state, India. A municipal corporation formed in 1983 to administer the twin townships of Kalyan and Dombivli. The municipal corporation has a population 1,193,266 (2001 census). Due to its highly educated population it is often called the second cultural capital of Maharashtra after Pune. Kalyan was famous as a port since ancient times. Records of its existence as a premier port in the region have been found in ancient Greek manuscripts. Dombivli station is about 48 km from CSMT station along the central railway and is connected to all parts of Maharashtra by rail as well as road. Kalyan is one of the most important junctions in India with most of the outstation trains stopping at it. Nearest airport is Mumbai airport which is 40 km away. The corporation is governed by Bombay Provincial Municipal Corporation Act 1949. Following authorities are given charge to carry out the provisions of the act, namely - 1. A Corporation. 2. A Standing Committee. 3. Ward Committees 4. Municipal Commissioner Both the cities are divided into 107 wards. Municipal Corporation consists of Councillors elected directly at Ward Elections. The number and boundaries of the Wards into which the City is divided is specified by the State Election Commissioner. There are five Councillors nominated by the Corporation. As per the provisions of the Act, the total number of Councillors is 112. The Corporation elects one of its members as the Mayor and another to be the Deputy Mayor.
Mumbai University Affiliated Colleges and School-cum-Colleges
- St. Jude's High School, Kalyan (East)
- Model English High School, Kalyan (East)
- Sri Vani Vidyashala High School
- Sacred Heart School
- Podar International School
- Birla School, Kalyan -West
- S.B.Divya English High School,Kalyan (East)
- Eron, Carol (1979). "Women in Medicine and Health Care". In O'Neill, Lois Decker. The Women's Book of World Records and Achievements. Anchor Press. p. 204. ISBN 0-385-12733-2.
First Hindu Woman Doctor
- "Historical Photos Depict Women Medical Pioneers". Public Radio International. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Anandabai Gopal Joshi....A forgotten Indian icon". Deshdaaz. 29 October 2014.
- Page no. 120, The Gazetteers of Bombay Presidency, Thane 3rd Edition
- "रिक्षाचालकांविरोधात प्रवासांचा एल्गार (Rikṣācālakāṃvirōdhāt Pravāsāṃcā Ēlgār)" (in Marathi). Kalyan, Thane: Sakal Publications. 24 February 2015. p. 6.
- "Mumbai CST-bound local train derails near Kalyan, 1 killed". Zee Media. Essel. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- KDMC. "History of Kalyan" (PDF). kdmc.gov.in. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 June 2012.
- kalyancity.com. "Government in Kalyan". kalyancity.com.
- KDMC :: Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation