This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Kalyan-Dombivali Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Rajendra Devlekar (Shiv Sena)|
|• Municipal Commissioner||P Velarasu|
|• Deputy Mayor||Moreshwar Shreeram Bhoir (BJP)|
|• Total||137.15 km2 (52.95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||8.84 m (29.00 ft)|
|• Total||1,246,381 (with Dombivli)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
421301(Kalyan (West)) 421304 (Kalyan (S.O.)) 421306 (Kalyan (East))
|Sex ratio||917 females/1000 males ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kalyan|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kalyan|
|Civic agency||Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation|
Kalyan is a city in the Thane District of Maharashtra state in Konkan division and a part of Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR). It is a neighbour city of Mumbai and is governed by Kalyan-Dombivli Municipal Corporation.
Kalyan is within the administrative division (tahsil) at a taluka level of the Thane District. Kalyan and its neighboring township of Dombivli jointly form the Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation, abbreviated as KDMC. It is considered a part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region, along with Vitthalwadi, Bhiwandi, Thane, Ulhasnagar and the municipal councils of Ambernath and Badlapur. Kalyan is the 9th biggest city in Maharashtra and 28th in the country.
In pre-independent India, the British Raj spelled Kalyan as Kallian, Cullian, Callian and sometimes as Callianee. Over the centuries, the city has seen attacks by various foreign armies, including the Mughal, the Portuguese and the British. The Marathas were held in high regard by the locals for being their only line of defense against invasions.
Walter Hamilton, a foreign visitor passing through India, described Callianee as follows in his 1820 book A Geographical, Statistical, and Historical Description of Hindustan, and the Adjacent Counties, Volume 2 on page 150:
Anandi Gopal Joshi, from Kalyan, along with Kadambini Ganguly, was one of the first two Indian women to obtain a degree in Western medicine. An 1886 graduate, Joshi is also believed to be the first Hindu woman to set foot on American soil.
The city of Kalyan was surrounded by a fort wall, the construction of which began during Shah Jahan's reign and was completed during Aurangzeb's reign in 1694 A.D. This city wall, which ran in excess of 2000 yards, 2123 to be precise, was guarded by 4 gates and 11 towers. The fort wall enclosed an area of 70 acres and on a high mound near the Kalyan creek, where the current Ganesh ghat stands, was a fine fort since as early as 1570.
The wall of the fort along the top of the inner bank of the ditch, and, near the north end, had a gateway known as the Delhi or Killyacha Darwaja.
Under the Marathas (1760–72), a new gate about 150 feet (46 m) to the south of the Ganesh gate was opened near the mansion of Ramji Mahadeo Biwalkar, the Peshwa's Governor. In the citadel of the fort Marathas built a small wooden temple of Durgadevi behind the mosque, and called the fort Durgadi Killain in honor of the goddess, a name which it still bears. The fort measures 220 feet (67 m) in length and somewhat less in breadth. Under the English rule, the fort wall was dismantled and stones carried to build the Kalyan and Thane piers and a dwelling for the customs inspector in the west of the Kalyan fort. The gate to the north-west is almost the only trace of the fort wall, which is of rough stone masonry. During 1876 the original idol of the goddess Durga was stolen.
|Climate data for Kalyan|
|Average high °C (°F)||29.3
|Average low °C (°F)||14.6
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||2.3
|Source: Government of Maharashtra|
Auto-rickshaws are an important mode of transport. 200,000 Kalyan citizens travel daily by auto-rickshaw.
With a population of more than 700,000, Kalyan is a part of Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation established in 1983, with municipalities of Kalyan, Dombivli, Ambernath and 81 villages. It was then one of the largest urban local bodies in Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) and in the state, with an area around 209 km2. The government of Maharashtra has decided to delete major area of the corporation limits on different occasions.[clarification needed] Presently the total area of the corporation has remained, and measures about 67 km2. kalyan also have famous place called kala talav (KT)
KDMC is a municipal corporation in Thane district of Maharashtra state, India. A municipal corporation formed in 1983 to administer the twin townships of Kalyan and Dombivli. The municipal corporation has a population 15,18,762 (2011 census). Due to its highly educated population it is often called the second cultural capital of Maharashtra after Pune. Kalyan was famous as a port since ancient times. Records of its existence as a premier port in the region have been found in ancient Greek manuscripts. Dombivli station is about 48 km from CSMT station along the central railway and is connected to all parts of Maharashtra by rail as well as road. Kalyan is one of the most important junctions in India with most of the outstation trains stopping at it. Nearest airport is Mumbai airport which is 40 km away.
The corporation is governed by Bombay Provincial Municipal Corporation Act 1949. The following authorities are given charge to carry out the provisions of the act:
- A corporation
- A standing committee
- Ward committees
- Municipal commissioner
Both the cities are divided into 122 wards. Municipal Corporation consists of Councillors elected directly at Ward Elections. The number and boundaries of the Wards into which the City is divided is specified by the State Election Commissioner. There are five Councillors nominated by the Corporation. As per the provisions of the Act, the total number of Councillors is 121. The Corporation elects one of its members as the Mayor and another to be the Deputy Mayor.
Mumbai University-affiliated colleges and school-cum-colleges
- K. M. Agrawal college of Arts, science & commerce
- L.D. Sonavane college of arts,commerce and science
- Model College of Science and Commerce
- MVDH College (Matoshree Velbai Devaji Haria),LLB,B.ed, D.ed, Shahad
- Saket College of Arts, Science and Commerce
- Saket College of Arts, Science and Commerce
- Seth Hirachand Mutha College of Arts, Commerce and Science
- Birla School, Kalyan
- Millennium English High School
- Model English High School
- Podar International School
- Sacred Heart School
- Sharada Mandir School
- Sri Vani Vidyashala High School
- ST Thomas High School
- St. Jude's High School
- VIBGYOR Roots and Rise
- C.R.M. Oak High School, Kalyan
- G.E.I's Subhedar wada High School
- Guru Nanak English High School
- Ideal English High School
- Lok Kalyan Public School
- Lourdes High School
- Muhammadiya English High School
- R.K Hindi High School, Beturkar Pada, Near Kala Talaw
- S.B.Divya English High School
- Sai English High School (Kalyan East)
- Shri Mahavir Jain English School
- Smt. K. C. Gandhi School 
- St Thomas English school, Kalyan (west)
- Eron, Carol (1979). "Women in Medicine and Health Care". In O'Neill, Lois Decker (ed.). The Women's Book of World Records and Achievements. Anchor Press. p. 204. ISBN 0-385-12733-2.
First Hindu Woman Doctor
- "Historical Photos Depict Women Medical Pioneers". Public Radio International. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Anandabai Gopal Joshi....A forgotten Indian icon". Deshdaaz. 29 October 2014.
- Page no. 120, The Gazetteers of Bombay Presidency, Thane 3rd Edition
- "रिक्षाचालकांविरोधात प्रवासांचा एल्गार (Rikṣācālakāṃvirōdhāt Pravāsāṃcā Ēlgār)" (in Marathi). Kalyan, Thane: Sakal Publications. 24 February 2015. p. 6.
- "Mumbai CST-bound local train derails near Kalyan, 1 killed". Zee Media. Essel. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- kalyancity.com. "Government in Kalyan". kalyancity.com.
- Smt. K. C. Gandhi School
- KDMC: Kalyan Dombivli Municipal Corporation