|Type||Privately held company|
|T.S. Kalyanaraman (Chairman & MD)|
Sanjay Raghuraman (CEO)
Number of employees
History & Evolution
Kalyan Jewellers was founded by T. S. Kalyanaraman, who opened the first jewellery showroom in 1993 in Thrissur, Kerala, India with an initial capital of ₹7.5 million (US$110,000). The company also has strong roots in the textile trading, distribution and wholesale business.
Initially, Kalyan Jewellers strengthened their presence in the South Indian states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. In 2012, they expanded outside South India by opening a showroom in Ahmedabad, Gujarat and signed Amitabh Bachchan as their first National Brand Ambassador.
In 2013, Kalyan Jewellers entered International markets by opening six showrooms on the same day in UAE. Since then it has grown to operate 30 showrooms in the Middle East across UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and Oman. As of February, 2020 Kalyan Jewellers has a wide presence of over 137 showrooms, of which 107 are in India.
The company has also set up ‘My Kalyan’, a customer service center, offering advance booking for wedding purchases, Kalyan Gold Purchase Advance Scheme, Gold Insurance for gold ornaments, etc. Currently there are over 761 ‘My Kalyan’ outlets in India.
In 2012, Kalyan Jewellers signed Amitabh Bachchan as its first National brand ambassador. Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan are the Global brand ambassadors while their daughter Shweta Bachchan Nanda is the celebrity influencer. Later, Katrina Kaif was also roped in to endorse the brand globally in April 2018.
Kalyan Jewellers has also partnered with a number of leading celebrities to be regional brand ambassadors including Manju Warrier in Kerala, Nagarjuna Akkineni in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, Shiva Rajkumar in Karnataka, Prabhu Ganesan in Tamil Nadu.
In the past, Kalyan Jewellers has been represented by Bollywood celebrities like Sushmita Sen, Aishwarya Rai and Sonam Kapoor. While Shah Rukh Khan represented them in the Middle East.
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was paid ₹100 million (US$1.4 million) per year for a two-year deal with Kalyan Jewellers to be a nationwide brand ambassador, which was formerly Sushmita Sen. The advertising and marketing budget of Kalyan is around ₹900 million (US$13 million)
In 2015, Kalyan Jewellers withdrew a controversial advertisement featuring Aishwarya Rai Bachchan after an open letter described it as 'insidiously racist' and a huge flak. The company said, "the creative was intended to present royalty, timeless beauty and elegance".
In 2018, Kalyan Jewellers was at the centre of a controversial commercial, starred by Amitabh Bachchan and his daughter Shweta Nanda. The Jewellers withdrawn the advertisement after criticised by All India Bank Officers’ Confederation for allegedly depicting banks in negative light. The bankers were threatening court cases, boycott calls and even a dharna against Kalyan Jewellers.
- Muhurat – Wedding jewellery
- Mudhra – Handcrafted antique jewellery
- Nimah – Timeless heritage jewellery
- Anokhi – Uncut diamond jewellery
- Rang – Precious stones jewellery
- Tejasvi – Polki diamonds jewellery
- Ziah – Diamond jewellery collection
- Laya – Contemporary gold & diamond jewellery
- Glo – Dancing diamond jewellery
- Vedha – Heritage jewellery with Uncut diamonds
- Apoorva – Diamonds
- Hera – Daily wear diamonds
- Ghosal, Sutanuka. "Kalyan Jewellers appoints Sanjay Raghuraman as CEO" – via The Economic Times.
- "Kalyan Jewellers appoints Sanjay Raghuraman as CEO, names new directors".
- "The success story of Kalyan Jewellers". Rediff. 15 March 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2018.
- Ghosal, Sutanuka (28 March 2020). "Kalyan Jewellers earmark Rs 10 cr for Covid-19 relief work". The Economic Times.
- "How Kalyan Jewellers Rose To International Prominence". Forbes India. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- Bureau, Our. "Bachchan signs up as Kalyan Jewellers brand ambassador". @businessline.
- "Kalyan Jewellers opens six showrooms in UAE". www.indiainfoline.com.
- "INDIA TODAY CONCLAVE-Kalyan Jewellers | IndiaToday". www.indiatoday.in.
- "Kalyan Jewellers plans pan-India growth to double revenues in five years". www.businesstoday.in.
- "Kalyan Jewellers launches 16 My Kalyan stores in Mumbai". The Economic Times. 15 January 2014.
- "Amitabh, Jaya Bachchan to feature in new jewellery ad". The Economic Times. 2 November 2015.
- Tewari, Saumya (18 July 2018). "Amitabh Bachchan, daughter Shweta feature in Kalyan Jewellers' silver jubilee ad". Livemint.
- www.ETBrandEquity.com. "Katrina Kaif roped in by Kalyan Jewellers as the brand's global ambassador - ET BrandEquity". ETBrandEquity.com. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- "Manju Warrier to Akkineni Nagarjuna: Kalyan jewellers sparkles with myriad regional stars". The New Indian Express.
- "Kalyan Brand Ambassador Illayathilakam Prabhu Ganesan delight crowd | RITZ". RITZ Magazine. 24 December 2016.
- "Sushmita Sen for Kalyan Jewellers". South Asian Bride Magazine. 27 September 2013.
- "Kalyan Jewellers enters Delhi market, brand ambassador Aishwarya Rai Bachchan inaugurates showrooms". The Financial Express. 22 March 2014.
- "Kalyan Jewellers ropes in Sonam Kapoor as new brand ambassador". The Economic Times. 14 March 2016.
- Reporter, Staff. "Kalyan Jewellers patrons meet Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan". Khaleej Times.
- "SRK inaugurates 3 Kalyan Jewellers showrooms in 3 countries in 1 eventful day". Everything Experiential.
- "Kalyan Jewellers charts expansioYean, with Rs 90 cr marketing budget with". Campaign India. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Laghate, Gaurav (3 June 2019). "Kalyan Jewellers picks regional stars as brand ambassadors". The Economic Times.
- "Kalyan Jewellers withdraw 'racist' ad featuring Aishwarya Rai Bachchan". India Today. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Dasgupta, Pritha Mitra; Ghosal, Sutanuka. "Kalyan Jewellers to discontinue 'racist' Aishwarya Rai ad amidst controversy". The Economic Times. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- Narasimhan, T. E. (25 July 2018). "'Trust ad' starring Amitabh scrapped: What went wrong for Kalyan Jewellers". Business Standard India. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Kalyan Jewellers withdraws controversial advertisment starring Amitabh Bachchan after bank employees protest". The Indian Express. 23 July 2018. Retrieved 13 February 2021.
- "Kalyan Jewellers' Muhurat matches the sensibilities of brides from different regions in India". www.indulgexpress.com.
- "Kalyan launches Ziah range of signature diamond jewellery". Gulf-Times (in Arabic). 1 June 2017.
- "Kalyan Jewellers opens two new showrooms in UAE – Industry Herald24".
- Cariappa, Anuj (18 October 2019). "Diwali offer: Kalyan jewellers offers discounts, giveaways to lure buyers". oneindia.com.