Kalyana Samayal Saadham
|Kalyana Samayal Saadham|
|Tamil||கல்யாண சமையல் சாதம்|
|Directed by||RS Prasanna|
|Produced by||Arun Vaidyanathan
|Screenplay by||RS Prasanna|
|Story by||RS Prasanna|
|Edited by||Sathyaraj Natarajan|
|Distributed by||Abi TCS Studios
RPP Film Factory
|6 December 2013|
Kalyana Samayal Saadham (English: Wedding Feast) is a 2013 Indian Tamil romantic comedy film written and directed by RS Prasanna. It features Prasanna and Lekha Washington in the lead roles. Produced by Ananth Govindan and Arun Vaidyanathan under the Everest Entertainment banner, it was distributed by ABITCS Studios, Thirukumaran Entertainment and RPP Film Factory. Krishnan Vasant was the cinematographer and Arrora the music composer. The film released on 6 December 2013 to critical acclaim. Rs Prasanna also directed the Hindi remake of this film titled Shubh Mangal Savdhan.
The story is about a software engineer Raghu (Prasanna) who gets engaged to another engineer, Meera (Lekha Washington). It's going to be an arranged marriage and the extended families of both are looking forward to it. However due to erectile dysfunction, Raghu can't get it up and on the advice of his friends tries out various quacks treating impotency.
- Prasanna as Raghu Viswanathan
- Lekha Washington as Meera Chandrasekaran
- Delhi Ganesh as Chandrasekaran
- Uma Padmanabhan as Meera's mother
- Raaghav as Gautham
- Natarajan (Nat Narayanasamy) as Viswanathan (Raghu's Father)
- Geetha Ravishankar as Raghu's mother
- Kathadi Ramamurthy as Raghu's grandfather
- Crazy Mohan as Dr Kamlesh
- Neelu as Meera's uncle / Card Mama
- Vatsala Rajagopal as Meera's grandmother
- Dr. Sharmila as Raghu's aunty
- Srilekha Parthasarathy as Raghu's aunty
- Sreekanth Dass as Dhina
- Baby Swaksha as Young Meera
The filming started on 3 January 2013. Kalyana Samayal Saadham (KSS), which is about a big fat Indian wedding will also feature in Emmy-nominated American television series Born to Explore with Richard Wiese.
The film's original soundtrack was composed by debutant Navin aka Arrora. The audio was launched on 2 August 2013. A single track "Mella Sirithai" and its video was released in around May which got positive response for its innovative making. Srikanth Varadhan has made his debut as a lyricist with this film and actor Prasanna had sung the song "Pallu Pona Raja" with lyrics penned by Srikanth. Behindwoods wrote:"A marriage of imaginative melodies and ideas. R.S.Prasanna and Navin start on the right track".
- Modern Kalyanam - Megha, Nikhita Gandhi
- Mella Sirithai — Haricharan, Chinmayi
- Kalyanam 2.0 - Arrora, Keerthana
- Pallu Pona Raja — Prasanna, Sangeetha Rajeshwaran
- Kadhal Marandhaayada — Arrora, Keerthana
- Pallu Pona Raja — Prasanna, Sangeetha
The film released in 260 screens across TN on 6 December 2013. It had been certified a U/A from the censor board.
Times of India gave 4 stars out of 5 and wrote, "The first 15 minutes play out like a romantic fantasy and director Prasanna deftly changes track, turning it into a comedy about erectile dysfunction. Prasanna treats these segments quite cheekily but never resorts to crassness. And gently (and deftly), he nudges this lighthearted material into serious territory". Cinemalead rated the film with 3 out of 5 stars and wrote "Kalayana Samayal Sadham is feel good feast which everyone can enjoy." Rediff gave the film 3 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Kalyana Samayal Saadham is not just about a big fat Indian wedding but also highlights the emotional and sensitive topic of stress-related erectile dysfunction that is becoming an increasingly common problem among the modern youth". Baradwaj Rangan wrote, "It wants to be little more than an innocuous, pleasant, crowd-pleasing entertainer, so you can’t fault it for what it isn’t — but there’s a lingering sense of what-could-have-been". Deccan Herald wrote, "Kalyana Samayal Saadham turns out to be an interesting rom-com providing food for thought. Despite its savoury title, the film is not a big fat wedding fest. But it touches upon a sensitive topic of erectile dysfunction, a modern-day problem among urban youth given the stressful life they lead". The New Indian Express wrote, "To craft an adult comedy with a sensitive theme, with maturity and style, is harder still. But debutant director R S Prasanna has pulled it off with finesse. Kalyana Samayal Sadham entertains even as it takes up an issue that is becoming more prevalent in modern stressful times". Sify wrote, "Kalyana Samayal Saadham is a well-made adult romcom, that keeps you smiling. It is take on a big fat Brahmin wedding and its pitfalls and rituals is great fun". Behindwoods gave 3 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Kalyana Samayal Saadham, is a practical take on a very serious issue but laced with lighthearted approach" and called it "A pleasant feel good urban flick".
Sudhish Kamath picked it as one of five films that have redefined Tamil cinema in 2013, writing, "this is a surprisingly subtle and truly modern Tamil romantic comedy by writer-director R.S. Prasanna, which has pushed the boundaries of the unexplored characters and situations further".
- "Prasanna in 'Kalyana Samayal Saadham'". IndiaGlitz. 2012-11-24. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- ""kalyana Samayal Saadham" Is Not Just A Legendary Song Now ...". Behindwoods. 2012-11-23. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- "Prasanna starts shooting for KSS". Times of India. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "'Kalyana Samayal Saadham' Review Roundup: Deals with Sensitive Subject in Light- hearted Comedy — International Business Times". Ibtimes.co.in. 2013-12-07. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "'Kalyana Samayal Saadham' Tamil Movie, Music Reviews and News". Moviecrow.com. Retrieved 2013-12-25.
- "Prasanna tweets about KSS". IBN Live. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "'Kalyana Samayal Saadham' to feature in US TV show". Times of India. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "A galatta kalyanam on social media". Deccan Chronicle. 2013-11-28. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Social media effective film marketing tool: R.S. Prasanna". Business Standard. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "'Kalyana Samayal Saadam' audio launched". Sify. 2013-08-02. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Kalyana Samayal Saadham Audio Launch, Kalyana Samayal Saadham, K.S. Ravikumar". Behindwoods. 2013-08-02. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Kalyana Samayal Saadham Songs Review Kalyana Samayal Saadham, Kalyana Samayal Saadham songs review, Kalyana Samayal Saadham — songs rev". Behindwoods. 2013-08-02. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Is tax exemption for 'U'-rated films making Tamil films less edgy? - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Kalayana Samayal Saadham movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Review: Kalyana Samayal Saadham is funny and thought provoking". Rediff. 2013-12-06. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Baradwaj Rangan (2013-12-07). "Kalyana Samayal Sadham: Scenes from an arranged marriage". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- S Viswanath (2013-12-08). "Ticklish, yet thoughtful". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Mannath, Malini (2013-12-08). "Kalyana Samayal Sadham: Maturity Teems with Style, Substance in Adult Comedy". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Movie Review : Kalyana Samayal Saadham". Sify. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Kalyana Samayal Saadham (aka) Kalyana Samayal Saadham review". Behindwoods. 2013-12-06. Retrieved 2013-12-25.
- Kamath, Sudhish (2013-12-28). "A shot at standing out". The Hindu. Chennai, India.