Kalyanaraman (1979 film)
|Directed by||G. N. Rangarajan|
|Produced by||Meena Panju Arunachalam|
|Written by||Panchu Arunachalam|
|Cinematography||N. K. Viswanathan|
|Edited by||K. R. Ramalingam|
P. A. Art Productions
|Distributed by||P. A. Art Productions|
Kalyanaraman is a Tamil language film starring Kamal Haasan as the protagonist. The film was a blockbuster and completed a 140-day run at the box office. Six years later, a sequel was made titled Japanil Kalyanaraman. The film was remade in Hindi as Ghazab with Dharmendra and in Kannada as Sriramachandra with V. Ravichandran.
Kalyanam (Kamal Haasan) is the naive and infantile son of a rich estate owner Chinnadurai ( V S Raghavan) and he is in love with Shenbagam (Sridevi), an ordinary estate worker. The estate manager (Major Sundarrajan) and his cohorts covertly plot to kill Chinnadurai and usurp the property from Kalyanam. Chinnadurai gets killed but before his death reveals to Kalyanam that he has a twin elder brother who lives with his mother in Madras. The manager and his henchmen befool Kalyanam and loot the estate with ease but eventually murder him by throwing him off a cliff when he discovers their true designs. Shenbagam who witnesses the murder turns mentally unstable. However Kalyanam is not finished entirely as his spectre contacts his twin brother Raman (the elder Kamal Haasan) and the rest of the story revolves around how they together seek to bring the perpetrators to justice.
- Kamal Hassan – as Kalyanam and his twin elder brother Raman
- Radha as Raman lover
- Sridevi – as Shenbagam
- Pushpalatha as Rajalakshmi, mother of Kalyanam and Raman
- V.S. Raghavan as Chinnadurai, father of Kalyanam and Raman
- Thengai Srinivasan
- Major Sundarrajan as the manager of Kalyanam's estate
- V. K. Ramasamy as Samipillai, the cook of Kalyanam
According to Randor Guy of The Hindu, the concept of Kalyanaraman was based on that of Idhu Nijama (1948), written and directed by S. Balachander. The looks for ghost Kamal was designed by G. Janakiraman. In preparation for the role of Kalyanam, Kamal got his teeth fashioned from a dentist.
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||Kadhal Deepam||Malaysia Vasudevan||Panju Arunachalam||4:15|
|2||Kadhal Vanthiruchu||Malaysia Vasudevan||4:17|
|3||Malargalil||S. P. Sailaja||4:39|
|4||Ninaithale Inikkum||S. Janaki||4:48|
- Guy, Randor (4 July 2008). "Idhu Nijama 1948". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- Ashok Kumar, S. R. (14 April 2006). "Rotary 'vocational excellence' award for 'film star' doctor". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- Haasan, Kamal (20 October 2012). "'Of course Velu Nayakan doesn't dance'". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- "Kalyanaraman Songs". Raaga.com. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- Tamil Copycat Songs. Vikatan TV. 19 May 2013. From 1:50 to 2:12.
- "சினிமா விமர்சனம்: கல்யாணராமன்" [Movie Review: Kalyanaraman]. Ananda Vikatan (in Tamil). 29 July 1979.
- "Kollywood's franchise factory opens". Sify. 25 May 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2018.