Akkammagari Konda and surrounding Hills.
|• MLA||Vunnam Hanumantharaya Chowdary|
|• Total||34.92 km2 (13.48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||656 m (2,152 ft)|
|• Density||930/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kalyandurg is a town in Anantapur district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is the headquarters for Kalyandurg mandal and Kalyandurg revenue division. The discovery of diamond-bearing Kimberlites in Kalyandurg area, is one of the clusters that has been discovered.
Balija palegars ruled important forts of Kalyandurg and rayadurgam. The name of Kalyandurg was derived from the name of a Polygar of 16th Century known as Kalyanappa. Kalyandurgam was under the rule of Sri Krishnadevaraya and was a part of Vijayanagara Empire.
Sri Subrahmanyeswara Swamy temple is located at the heart of the town. This temple was built in around 16th century.
Anantapur district is replete with Megalithic remains. In the vicinity of Kalyanadurg, several hundred megalithic monuments, such as dolemnoid cists and cairn circles are situated at the foothills and the slopes of the Akkamma Vari hills. Another large group of cairn circles is 2 km north of Akkamma Gari Konda. Similar remains are located at Mudigallu, a village about 5 km easterly to Kalyandurg, and Muthalabanda village, 2 km north east of town, and Gallaplli situated towards Rayadurgam.
As of 2011[update] Census of India, Kalyandurg had a population of 32,328. The population constituted 16,036 males and 16,292 females — a sex ratio of 1016 females per 1000 males. 3,404 children are in the age group of 0–6 years, of which 1,760 are boys and 1,644 are girls — a ratio of 979 per 1000. The average literacy rate stands at 74.14% with 21,443 literates, significantly higher than the state average of 67.41%.
The municipality is spread over an area of 15.895 km2 (6.137 sq mi). It has an expenditure of ₹229.29 crore (US$36 million) and generates an annual income of ₹222.87 crore (US$35 million). The municipal body oversees the supply of water with 70 litres per capita per day, in the form 453 public taps and 66 bore–wells. Its other services include maintenance of community halls, secondary and elementary schools and 13.45 km2 (5.19 sq mi) of roads, maternity and child health center such as the Government Hospital, RDT Hospital, and others.
Kalyandurg (Assembly constituency) is one of 14 constituencies in Anantapur district, representing Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly. Vunnam Hanumantharaya Chowdary of Telugu Desam Party is the present MLA representing Kalyandurg (Assembly constituency).
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English and Telugu.
- "MLA's". Official portal of Andhra Pradesh Government. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Municipalities, Municipal Corporations & UDAs" (PDF). Directorate of Town and Country Planning. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Anantapur District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. p. 386. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "Anantapur gets two more revenue divisions". The Hindu. Anantapur. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Discovery of diamond-bearing kimberlites in Kalyandurg area, Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh". Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- Prem Loganathan. "Boyar mudiraja". The Great Boyar Valmiki Nayaka Emperors. bedar.nayaka.in. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Archeological Survey of India". asihyd.ap.nic.in.
- Murty, M. L. K. (6 June 2017). "Comprehensive History and Culture of Andhra Pradesh: Pre- and protohistoric Andhra Pradesh up to 500 BC". Orient Blackswan – via Google Books.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Kalyandrug, India". www.fallingrain.com.
- "Region geography" (PDF). shodhganga. p. 48. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Literacy of AP (Census 2011)" (PDF). Official Portal of Andhra Pradesh Government. p. 43. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Basic Information of Municipality". Commissioner & Director of Municipal Administration. Municipal Administration & Urban Development Department, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "Public services/amenities". Commissioner & Director of Municipal Administration. Municipal Administration & Urban Development Department, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- "School Education Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2015. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education – Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Jayashree. "Trains to KYND/Kalyandurga Station - 2 Arrivals SWR/South Western Zone - Railway Enquiry". indiarailinfo.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalyandurg.|